Plenty Of Prepping Ahead

old dead things

Now that we are getting that full blast of winter in the Rockies it is time to start thinking about prepping some of the summers fossil finds. These photos are of ammonites, gastropods and scaphites collected in Carter County in southeastern Montana in July. At this time I am unsure of the species, as not enough of them are exposed.

There are a number of different zones going through this collecting area, but I believe these may be out of the greenhorn formation.

There are two ammonites in this concretion. The one on the right is pretty much gone. The one on the left, well, it will be interesting to see how much of it is still there.

post-1148-0-15223100-1385391896_thumb.jpg

The concretions in the upper right and lower left have scaphites. In the center is a gastropod. In the lower right it looks like most of the ammonite is gone, but worth a closer look.

post-1148-0-35041400-1385391990_thumb.jpg

Hopefully this will be a thread that shows the progress of the preparation of these fossils.

Jim

Old Dead Things

Jim

The ammo top center looks like a stunner, fingers crossed Jim that you get a decent fossil out .

Regards

Dave

I'll use an air scribe to chip away the matrix, it is much too hard to use dolomite. However, after exposing the ammonites I will use a powdered substance (Not necessarily dolomite) or a brass brush on a dremel to clean up the fossil.