Florida Or Texas?

Kman100

Hey everyone.

So, I am planning on taking a paleontological trip this spring.

But what I can't decide is whether I should go to Florida or Texas.

Pliocene fossils sounds good, but so do ammonites.

And input?

Thanks!

-kevin

It's a very general question, so here's a very general answer. In my (extremely personal) experience, you're going to find a lot more publicly accessible collecting sites in Texas than you are in Florida, keeping in mind that they're both giant states with a lot of ground to cover. The other advantage to Texas, again in my experience, is that you can collect in the Pennsylvanian through the Eocene (depending obviously upon where you go). The usual public sites in Florida are so over-collected (Peace River, Venice Beach) that I suspect you may find them disappointing. Yes, I've no doubt that people in FF have sweet spots that they've found, but the point is: it's not public info. For Pliocene fossils, I personally know of no good sites open to the public. The good stuff is in the quarries, most of which are closed except to clubs, university groups, and people with special permission.

https://twitter.com/Fossil_News

The "InvertebrateMe" blog
http://invertebrateme.wordpress.com

Wendell's right. I know some FF members would guide you to some public Florida spots, but except for river and beach sites, most quarries and mines are off limits. Texas is allot bigger than Florida, but regardless of where you chose, have a plan and map out an approach.

I've never collected in FL but my friends who do go scuba diving for shark teeth.

If you come to Texas you don't even have to go very far south to find some great Pennsylvanian and Cretaceous sites. If you time it right you could join the Dallas Paleontological Society on one of their trips. Most are open to non-members and you can keep up with the schedule on the facebook group page or the web page at dallaspaleo.org

Edited by BobWill

Been to both several times and prefer Texas. A lot more variety. Florida is nice in the winter but awful hot and humid in summer, plus central Florida has mosquitos the size of hummingbirds.. Texas is blistering in the summer. Snakes in both places. Sieving for shark teeth at the beach is fun.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

difficult access sites pay out best in both states. texas ammonites can be pretty rewarding if you haven't found many. but our shark teeth tend to run much smaller than younger florida varieties. and i'd swear that florida has 10 mammoth and mastodon teeth to every one found in texas.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

FYI, Springtime in Texas is more like late February - March. That is when the wildflowers are really getting into it and the weather is more likely to be comfortable.

Dan, not everyone wants vertebrate fossils :D

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks