Shark Tooth Hill Hunt - 4 Days In The Quarry!

Texas Fossil Hound

I sincerely appreciate the feedback and corrections. I was back and forth on the Hexanchus symphyseal vs. E. blakei.

Anyone have other Hexanchus symphyseal tooth pics?

jon

Jon

If you Google Hexanchus symphyseal and look at the images you can see a number of teeth. Below are links to two.

http://www.fossilsonline.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=817

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharktoothcollector/6339059775/

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Jon,

You did leave a few in the ground for others, what a haul. The Hex. teeth were a great find and the pile of Mako's---- WOW!!!! Little different than your average Texas hunt, thanks for sharing----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

I agree with Jess that the tooth on the bottom right on Elasmo does not look like a symphyseal. Here is a pic of one in my collection

post-4130-0-38292600-1386162731_thumb.jpg

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Great finds! I am in in awe and enjoyed your report and pic's. Thanks for sharing! :)

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Awesome finds.Congrats on a stellar trip!

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Hey guys, great to hear your trip was a triumphant success. I was the guy you were digging near at the start of the east quarry on Sunday. Looks like we all had a good time.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Texas Fossil Hound,

How was the oplegnathid mouth plate identified? It's been a while since I've been to the museum but I don't think that fish jaw form was identified to family in the display case of bony fishes the last time I was there. I know that the genus Oplegnathus was in the latest STH fauna list as of a few years ago but I've never seen the name with a specimen before. I have a couple of those but they were not self-collected (have dug there for years) leaving me to assume they are at least somewhat uncommon if not rare.

Jess

Siteseer,

I found a paper poster earlier on TFF by some folks who had a similar find at STH. I have included it here for your reference.

Oplegnathid fish Mouth plate.pdf

If you search the word "oplegnathid" in the Fossil Forum, I am sure the post will come up. there were a couple members with specimens that posted. GREAT reference!

Jon

Edited by Texas Fossil Hound

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

Dave and others - it is an odontocete tooth, but Squalodon (or even squalodontids) has not yet been identified from the middle Miocene of California. These teeth with the bulged root are often identified as Prosqualodon, which is even worse, since Prosqualodon is strictly southern hemisphere.

Thanks Bobby!

Question, so you are saying the one I identified as Squalodon, is really a toothed whale/cetacean? I have several of these. I called it Squalodon because the BVMNH guidebook of the STH fossils specifically calls this out as Squalodon (Primitive Dolphin). I suppose someone should offer a correction. Do you have any more information on these teeth so I can better ID the ones I have In my collection?

Jon

Edited by Texas Fossil Hound

Hey guys, great to hear your trip was a triumphant success. I was the guy you were digging near at the start of the east quarry on Sunday. Looks like we all had a good time.

Great meeting you at STH! Keep in touch if you ever want to come to TX.

Jon

Jon,

There was a thread elsewhere on this site about "Squalodon" being incorrect on the BVMNH labels. Bobby pointed it out then.

Jess

Edit: Actually, Bobby has pointed out the misuse of "Squalodon" a few times and not just in reference to STH finds - also sites where undescribed material has been informally identified as that..

Thanks Bobby!

Question, so you are saying the one I identified as Squalodon, is really a toothed whale/cetacean? I have several of these. I called it Squalodon because the BVMNH guidebook of the STH fossils specifically calls this out as Squalodon (Primitive Dolphin). I suppose someone should offer a correction. Do you have any more information on these teeth so I can better ID the ones I have In my collection?

Jon

Edited by siteseer

Jon,

Thanks for the link. I had not seen that article before.

Jess

Siteseer,

I found a paper poster earlier on TFF by some folks who had a similar find at STH. I have included it here for your reference.

attachicon.gifOplegnathid fish Mouth plate.pdf

If you search the word "oplegnathid" in the Fossil Forum, I am sure the post will come up. there were a couple members with specimens that posted. GREAT reference!

Jon