Fossil Hunting Holiday In England 2013

Paleoworld-101

Heres another mammalian I've been researching from that area that may be of interest to you.

Cynodictis

Regards,

Darren.

Is Cynodictis known from Bouldnor? I couldn't find any specimens of Cynodictis from IOW online to compare to.

Also if anyone knows what species of Ichthyosaur the vertebrae could belong to i'd really like to know. I've tried looking up what specific species are known from Charmouth/Lyme but all I get is 'Ichthyosaur'. I know the first Ichthyosaur that Mary Anning found from Lyme Regis was Temnodontosaurus platydon which is so far the only specific species that I am aware of.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Hi Nathan

Very good write up on your trip. As Darren says brings back many memories.

Re. the ichthyosaur. It is probably Ichthyosaurus communis. Temnodontosaurus was much larger. The rib attachments on the vertebrae show that they are from the rear of the torso, just in front of the rear flippers.

Good luck identifiying the mammal bone.

regards

Paul

Superb write up, Nathan. It was my pleasure to assist you on your hunt. I think we got on very well, and had a fabulous day together. Well done on the rest of your finds they're fantastic. Your Ichthyosaur vertebrae are excellent; well done to both you and your Dad. I can give you some IDs for those ammonites; but I'll have to dig my books out for a couple of them - I'll let you know this weekend. Once again thanks for a superb hunt, and I thoroughly enjoyed hunting together! :D

All the best,

Joe

Kind regards,

Joe

@paulgdls- Thankyou! But why are the two vertebrae I found hexagonal in shape, while the one my dad found a day earlier was more circular in shape? Different skeletal position or different species?

@Ammojoe- Cheers mate, wouldn't have found the two articulated Ichthy verts if not for you so thankyou! The Ammonite ID's would be excellent. Too bad we live on other sides of the world cause we were a great fossil hunting duo :D

If you ever come to Sydney the offer is still open to come check out some of the local plant/marine invertebrate sites with me.

Oh and I forgot to ask- how did that possible Nautiloid turn out?

Edited by Paleoworld-101

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

Congratulations on a great fossil expedition, one you'll remember for a lifetime. It made for a very interesting read. I am pleased you have such supportive parents and a generous online community here.

Is Cynodictis known from Bouldnor? I couldn't find any specimens of Cynodictis from IOW online to compare to.

Cynodictis, ("in-between dog") is a member of extinct terrestrial carnivores belonging to the family Amphicyonidae, suborder Caniformia, and which inhabited Euroasia and Asia from the Late Eocene subepoch to the Early Oligocene subepoch living from 37.2â28.4 Ma, existing for approximately 8.8 million years.

Fossil specimens have been found from Mengjiapo, China to the Isle of Wight, Great Britain as well as Weisserburg, Germany and 3 sites in France.

Here is a great link http://www.discoveringfossils.co.uk/bouldnor_fossils.htm explaining why you can find quite a diverse range of species along the Bouldnor coast including Cynodictis all be it a rare find.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Congratulations on a great trip report and a plethora of amazing finds. Wonderful descriptions, not just of the fossils and places, but what was also in your head and heart. Could relate to a lot of it. Good luck with future finds and if there is any way you can persuade your parents, a trip to the US would be sure to add considerably to your wonderful collection. Again, congrats.

really enjoyed your report its nice when someone takes the time to include thoughts ,feelings and such well detailed descriptions to relate to. early this year we went to charmouth and its not as easy as you expect, no point going for a day you need a few days to find your feet, explore the coast and perfect your collecting techniques.

You did better than I did I mainly came away with the beautiful pyrite ammonites and not much else. wanted to get back this winter but have another location I love (Sheppey) and can get there on a day trip so not sure what to do yet.

Bouldnor is my local beach (well 15min drive) I love it there only been collecting from the a couple of years but love it as you know your coming away with a pocket full. I had not been down for a couple of months but managed to get down a couple of days ago, opted for the muddy path end as I go there less often......tip take pruners with you lol, I don't normally but took my with and 3yr old girl, was tricky and some of the thorns got their own back on me and gave me a bloody nose lol. it was good down there but not as good as I expected I know why now, you beat me to it and got the goodies the storms washed out!

I remember you saying you were heading this way ages ago you should have gave me a shout, could have showed you some other finds from bouldnor.

looks like you did really well and you worked hard for your finds, very well deserved!

I wander if the joe at charmouth was the chap I bumped into, mid 20,s ? when I was looking on the beach he gave me some great tips. it was at the start of summer and I think one of his last trips (not much found in the summer)

once again, good job!

my finds from a couple of days ago., included croc jaws, mammal jaw with broken tooth in socket, 3 croc teeth (not great ones) some bones and the other normal bits

post-10263-0-03341400-1387062520_thumb.jpgpost-10263-0-83926400-1387062522_thumb.jpgpost-10263-0-40069700-1387062525_thumb.jpgpost-10263-0-06344000-1387062528_thumb.jpgpost-10263-0-06344000-1387062528_thumb.jpgpost-10263-0-88477800-1387062530_thumb.jpgpost-10263-0-67710100-1387062533_thumb.jpg

Edited by Adie_uk

really enjoyed your report its nice when someone takes the time to include thoughts ,feelings and such well detailed descriptions to relate to. early this year we went to charmouth and its not as easy as you expect, no point going for a day you need a few days to find your feet, explore the coast and perfect your collecting techniques.

You did better than I did I mainly came away with the beautiful pyrite ammonites and not much else. wanted to get back this winter but have another location I love (Sheppey) and can get there on a day trip so not sure what to do yet.

Bouldnor is my local beach (well 15min drive) I love it there only been collecting from the a couple of years but love it as you know your coming away with a pocket full. I had not been down for a couple of months but managed to get down a couple of days ago, opted for the muddy path end as I go there less often......tip take pruners with you lol, I don't normally but took my with and 3yr old girl, was tricky and some of the thorns got their own back on me and gave me a bloody nose lol. it was good down there but not as good as I expected I know why now, you beat me to it and got the goodies the storms washed out!

I remember you saying you were heading this way ages ago you should have gave me a shout, could have showed you some other finds from bouldnor.

looks like you did really well and you worked hard for your finds, very well deserved!

I wander if the joe at charmouth was the chap I bumped into, mid 20,s ? when I was looking on the beach he gave me some great tips. it was at the start of summer and I think one of his last trips (not much found in the summer)

once again, good job!

Thankyou for reading the report! Sheppey was another site that I considered but it was a bit out of the way so I left it out. A shame since I would have loved to find a nice shark tooth or two!

You live 15 minutes from Bouldnor?!?! Man am I jealous of you! That would be heaven, you are incredibly lucky.

As for that thorny path, was it worse when you went a couple days ago than in previous months or is it always like that? The Discovering Fossils Bouldnor page said it could be muddy but didn't mention anything about thorns and the need to bush bash lol. I guess it added to the experience though :D

I definitely should have contacted you about meeting up at Bouldnor i'm sorry, next time ok? Won't be any time soon but I certainly do want to go back there.

I may have got there first but you still managed to walk away with a fantastic assortment of finds! Looks like you got lots of large bone fragments too, and good on you for finding a mammal jaw! That was one of my goals, to find a mammal tooth or jaw, but i'm nonetheless satisfied with the mammal bones I found instead. You did well to find those 3 croc teeth, after I found one on the first day at Bouldnor no more turned up even though I tried to look in the smaller shingle extra closely so as not to miss any.

In reality though I wasn't doing a thorough search. 90% of the time I was looking in the first few meters of shingle in front of the clay bank, almost certainly missing lots of nice finds closer to the water. Are you able to help with any of the ID's by the way? I am most keen to get the toe bone Identified, have you found or seen similar specimens?

Nah It couldn't have been the same Joe, wrong age.

Thanks for showing the pictures as well they are great.

EDIT- Just noticed one of your bones in the pictures is the end of a toe bone that looks somewhat similar to mine. I wonder if they are from the same animal?

Edited by Paleoworld-101

WOW!! Fantastic trip report! Make sure you give your parents a big hug for making your dream trip come true. :)

Jed

Edited by Jed '06

The trouble with the infamous path is... summer less mud but more thorns and undergrowth winter more mud, you cant win but I think it makes the location less visted and more rewarding. like I say a pair of pruners helps get some out of the way. I have been down there when it was like a river after weeks of rain, its an adventure.

im still learning and trying to work it out, I wanted to id lots of my stuff but some times its hard to pin it down, normally I end up having to say its most likely a.......? and leave it at that. its hard to know as of course crocs and be large down to tiny hatchlings and the same with the turtles not to mention croc and turtle are not the only candidates. I think if you have the time to research you will get narrow it down but still hard to say for sure. I wish I had more time to research but my little girl and work take up so much time.

glad you enjoyed bouldnor, it is often over looked as the back of the island and its dinosaur are normally where people want to hunt.

couple of pics.

post-10263-0-83365800-1387110759_thumb.jpgpost-10263-0-12053600-1387110965.jpgpost-10263-0-01623800-1387110967_thumb.png

will also add some of mine for you to compare to.

Edited by Adie_uk

just a few pics including some mammal teeth and a few bones I picked out of the box. also my croc teeth. I started collecting at thorness that's a just down the road about 10 min walk.

bones from last week post-10263-0-28267200-1387113272_thumb.jpgpost-10263-0-49172600-1387113275_thumb.jpg

other bitspost-10263-0-36942800-1387113278_thumb.jpgpost-10263-0-40958000-1387113281_thumb.jpgpost-10263-0-66126300-1387113284_thumb.jpgpost-10263-0-51291000-1387113287_thumb.jpgpost-10263-0-41618900-1387113290_thumb.jpgpost-10263-0-72402300-1387113293_thumb.jpgpost-10263-0-87122200-1387113296_thumb.jpg

Edited by Adie_uk

Wow, great pictures! That is certainly a lot of crocodile teeth.

I especially like the mammal jaw with 2 teeth, what a fantastic find.

So far the closest thing to my toe bone that I have seen from Bouldnor is still the broken end you found last week. Your other, more slender phalanges look more like those of turtles/crocodiles but I am not 100% sure. Although I don't like the fact that telling these two animals apart in particular (turtles and crocs) is often very difficult.

All I want to do now is go back to Bouldnor and find more but i'm on the other side of the world now :(

Nathan, well done! Some of the locations you visited need experience to get the best bits (as I am sure you found!) but despite that you did extremely well! The ichthyosaur vertebrae as really nice specimens and the dinosaur bones are good sections showing fine internal structures. But you’re Bouldnor finds top it for me, not just because I am biased towards the era, but you did far better than I managed last time I was there. Thanks for a fantastic trip report, thoroughly enjoyed reading it! Glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you return for another visit!

All the best,

Thomas

Thankyou Thomas, you were a fantastic help for me whilst planning this holiday. Next time you go to Bouldnor though be sure to go to the end closer to Hamstead. I wish I spent my first two IOW days at that end as well.

All the best,

Nathan

What a fabulous report and it looks like you had a great deal of success on your collecting trip as well as meeting up with Joe.... The joined Icthy verts are my favourites to as well as the croc jaw....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Your finds are superb.

It's so exciting when you find something you haven't got in your collection.

I guess like most people, we must miss loads of stuff, as even after 10 years of collecting, there is still so much to learn

• 4 weeks later...