Proper Paleo Tools

Dave Daniel AKA (Bones)

Since Cabezon asked about prep tools, I thought it would be appropriate to post suppliers for different tools.

For everyones convenience, I have links on my web site for all the tools you may need for fossil digging and preparation.

Each link to fossil collecting equipment or anything related to Paleontology, is directed to the specific tool that we use in the field or lab. I have spent a lot of time looking for the best quality tools, the best prices and best customer service venders.

This started several years ago when I spent a lot of time on the phone or email by my customers requesting info on where they could go

to get the tools they needed and what particular tool I used, since their are so many choices.

I created this page to end the madness.

You can go to:

http://home.earthlink.net/~paleodigs

In the menu, click on "Stores For More"

Each link will take you to the vender for that product.

If anyone knows of better pricing on a particular product, don't hesitate letting me know. I always try to update and send everyone to the best deals.

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

Great resource; you've already done the heavy lifting!

Hopefully some other experienced preppers will add their tips to this thread.

How 'bout solutions for the low-rent fossilers out there?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great resource; you've already done the heavy lifting!

Hopefully some other experienced preppers will add their tips to this thread.

How 'bout solutions for the low-rent fossilers out there?

I started out with a hand made air abrasive cabinet.

I have thought about putting together the design with drawings and material list, so anyone can make their own.

Your local dentist has some great prep tools if you are working in softer matrix.

Your right. My first dental tool came from my dentist. They through them away often.

Dental tools are inexpensive, but you may be able to get them free from your dentist.

Doesn't hurt to call and ask.

Wow!!! You take folks out fossil hunting in style! I didnt know. Now you got me to thinkin about doing an oligocen fossil hunt. Im not that far from nebraska and have thought about it many times over the years, but you know how some of fossil nuts are. Some of us are not the 'turist' type and want to do it all ourselves. No way in heck I would pay for a quided tour, so to speak. That would take too much of the fun away for me. I do have a couple of contacts that may be able to get me into some of that whiteriver stuff, but by any chance do you let guys like me hunt at your place for a fee? Just wondering. I want to do several fossil hunting trips this year.

RB

Since Cabezon asked about prep tools, I thought it would be appropriate to post suppliers for different tools.

For everyones convenience, I have links on my web site for all the tools you may need for fossil digging and preparation.

Each link to fossil collecting equipment or anything related to Paleontology, is directed to the specific tool that we use in the field or lab. I have spent a lot of time looking for the best quality tools, the best prices and best customer service venders.

This started several years ago when I spent a lot of time on the phone or email by my customers requesting info on where they could go

to get the tools they needed and what particular tool I used, since their are so many choices.

I created this page to end the madness.

You can go to:

http://home.earthlink.net/~paleodigs

In the menu, click on "Stores For More"

Each link will take you to the vender for that product.

If anyone knows of better pricing on a particular product, don't hesitate letting me know. I always try to update and send everyone to the best deals.

ok i will add anoth plug for paleo tools. may not be the cheapeest ones but they are the best quality, and definately worth the cost. just bought 2 more scribes yesterday. also sells swam blaster air abrasive units.

www.paleotools.com

then click tools

Brock

"How 'bout solutions for the low-rent fossilers out there?"

i've used dremel rototools all my life for a lot of things. i think you can find a lot of low-cost solutions at garage sales and pawn shops when it comes to removing the larger matrix. cutting, too. tile saws, etc. but the one thing that just seems indispensable for some fossils is air abrasive. the little blaster can just do stuff in minutes that would take long hours otherwise and wouldn't look nearly as good. the way to go cheap on that tool is to find a used one, i guess. putting ads on boards, etc.

Wow!!! You take folks out fossil hunting in style! I didnt know. Now you got me to thinkin about doing an oligocen fossil hunt. Im not that far from nebraska and have thought about it many times over the years, but you know how some of fossil nuts are. Some of us are not the 'turist' type and want to do it all ourselves. No way in heck I would pay for a quided tour, so to speak. That would take too much of the fun away for me. I do have a couple of contacts that may be able to get me into some of that whiteriver stuff, but by any chance do you let guys like me hunt at your place for a fee? Just wondering. I want to do several fossil hunting trips this year.

RB

Occasionally we will let the ranch open for day trips. Only after we have booked the season. Our ranch is the biggest set of badlands.

7,000 acres. The other properties are leased out to other diggers like me. Some do digs like I do, but are twice the expense and they don't offer

the things we do. Most of those properties are in the Arikaree formation (up high on the WR formation) with very little brule exposure. Not very productive. I am proud to say, we have the best. We don't take you on a tour, we just take you out there and you look where you want.

We do have posted signs so you don't get off the property onto grasslands. So does forest service.

The forest service fly planes over us all day looking for people collecting on grasslands, and they will arrest. Good use of our tax payers money huh!

Toadstool park bounders one side of the property.(State park) They don't even let you walk in there anymore.

If you figure out lodging, food, gas back and forth to town,etc. you will see that your not getting much of a savings if you day hunt.

I tried the tent thing like others do and believe me, you want a shower and a soft bed after 120 degrees in the shade (and there is no shade)

Keep in touch before season and I will see if we have any day hunting later in the summer.

ok i will add anoth plug for paleo tools. may not be the cheapeest ones but they are the best quality, and definately worth the cost. just bought 2 more scribes yesterday. also sells swam blaster air abrasive units.

www.paleotools.com

then click tools

Brock

Paleotools has great stuff, but the list of venders I put together makes it a lot more affordable.

Hard to beat Northern tools on their price. I even went to the manufacturer to try to get cost.

They can't sell it as cheap as N.T. unless you buy 50 cabinets.

Guest Nicholas

For Canadian shoppers I would suggest Busybee, you can order from their website.. they have low to medium quality goods but the price is always right. :)

You need to look around and find things that suit your needs, I've bought great dremel bits there, a pack of 12 for 2 dollars. At that price, even if they suck they are good. lol.

The Site!

Note: mostly wood related stuff, but some of my best gear is modified wood gear. :P

For Canadian shoppers I would suggest Busybee, you can order from their website.. they have low to medium quality goods but the price is always right. :)

You need to look around and find things that suit your needs, I've bought great dremel bits there, a pack of 12 for 2 dollars. At that price, even if they suck they are good. lol.

The Site!

Thanks for the info.

Guest solius symbiosus

Legend Inc. has some of the best prices around.

They are not a Paleontology supply house, but they have everything else a geologist, rock hound, treasure hunter... ect. could want.

They are not a Paleontology supply house, but they have everything else a geologist, rock hound, treasure hunter... ect. could want.

well linked, young jedi! that place has some seriously cool stuff. they even have rockhammer holsters!

i just had an epiphany and realized i could get a holster and weld a loop onto my rock hammer and spin it like it was john wayne's model 92 winchester! <queue the intro music from "the good, the bad, and the tracer">

Great Googly Moogly! They sell a thing called a "Gold Magnet"!

In my ignorance-driven naivete, I'd like to believe it works the way it sounds!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas

Well, by the way it sounds it attracts everything but gold lol.

Guest solius symbiosus

Haha, Yeah, that would be nice. No need for sluices or pans... we could all get rich.

Well, thanks to solius, I just spent some money. Went and checked out this website and ended up buying that Estwing Hoe Pick. Cheapest ive seen it at retail pricing. The only way I could get it cheaper is to drive down to Tucson, (hundreds in gas money, and lots and lots of time) and buy one at the tool tent, so thanks to solius, I just saved a bunch of gas money and lots of time. Thanks solius.

RB

Well, thanks to solius, I just spent some money. Went and checked out this website and ended up buying that Estwing Hoe Pick. Cheapest ive seen it at retail pricing. The only way I could get it cheaper is to drive down to Tucson, (hundreds in gas money, and lots and lots of time) and buy one at the tool tent, so thanks to solius, I just saved a bunch of gas money and lots of time. Thanks solius.

RB

Thats the site that I have as a link on my web-site as the source for the Estwing paleo hoe pick.

As I said, I have done my research. $56.15

There are a few places that I have used in the past for some products that are a little cheaper, but

shipping cost or poor service has made me remove them.

Legend has been a great supplier for my clients for many years.

I get comments on their customer service as well.

Thanks Dave, that is very good to know. I saved that website onto my favorite places.

RB

Thats the site that I have as a link on my web-site as the source for the Estwing paleo hoe pick.

As I said, I have done my research. $56.15

There are a few places that I have used in the past for some products that are a little cheaper, but

shipping cost or poor service has made me remove them.

Legend has been a great supplier for my clients for many years.

I get comments on their customer service as well.

Hey Dave, just noticed this thread. Excellent info! Thanks! I am going to start adding to my 'lab' (should I say, garage?) equipment for prettying up my specimens. I think I have a good source for some old dental picks that should do nicely.

Also, I would definitely like to get an air abrassive set up for prepping my stuff, but I can't quite afford one at the moment. I'd be interested in the schematics of the one you built. Also, I have a dremel tool, but was wondering what kinds of things they are best used for. What kind of tools would you use for what kinds of preparation with the Dremel tool? Anyone have experience using a Dremel for prep work? Or is it pretty limited?

i posted this schematic for an air abrasive awhile back so here it is again

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?ac...st&id=11640

( i hope that worked)

Brock

ps the tiny word that is hard to read is "perferrated" (sp?)

Hey thats great ebrockids. Mind if I use that along with the drawing I am going to put together for a home made blasting cabinet?

For those of you working "on the cheap", dental tools are great but one of the best little items for removing stubborn matrix (if you can't get an air scribe) is one of the vibrating engraving tools. I've got a couple of old Craftsman engravers that I've used to remove matrix from MANY Oligocene mammal fossils with pretty good success. They aren't as fast as an air scribe and it takes a little time to get proficient at using one (use the lowest setting possible to avoid damage to the fossil) but the results can be pretty spectacular and it beats picking away little bits of matrix with a dental pick. The oreodont skull in my avatar was prepared using one of the engravers...it was originally almost completely covered with hard matrix.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library