Urchin Construction, Central Texas

thair

The weather the last week or so has been cold so I decided to have an indoor hunting project. Archaeocidaris sp. (urchin) plates and spins are some of the very first fossils I ever found when I started collecting when I was 5 or 6 years old. They are very common in the Penn. deposits here in central Texas but finding a complete specimen is practically impossible except the flattened ones from the Brownwood spillway. As has been noted there are probable several species but kind of hard to describe from disarticulated plates and spins. Several months ago I found some associated plates that seemed to be more isolated than most and were most likely from a single individual. I decided to attempt a reconstruction to make a desplay piece for my collection. Its hard to discribe what a fossil is to someone when it looks like a pile of random stuff. I know that the result I have created is not completly accurate but at least it is sort of recognizable. You always learn from the first try so when (if) I do another maybe it will be more accurate.

post-3664-0-68644400-1386872485_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-09580600-1386872551_thumb.jpg

You are a real master at reconstructing bits into awesome specimens! Well done indeed!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

you'll get years of well earned enjoyment for your effort. plus non collectors will gravitate toward that display.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Hi,

It's a great job ! Congrats for your patience !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

To cool, fantastic job, really nice display piece----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

That's really a terrific way to display your finds. What did you use for the spherical base? It looks great!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

That's really a terrific way to display your finds. What did you use for the spherical base? It looks great!

After laying out the plates and measureing an aprox size I started with a golf ball. Then I used epoxy putty to enlarge and mold into a more urchin like shape.

When nature disarticulates, let man articulate. Good job taking pieces and parts and making something easily recognizable.

Never saw one like that. Pretty impressive like something you'd expect to see in a museum and you created it. Big congratulations!