Help Me Plan My Trip

mrieder79

Which site should I go to this weekend?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which site should I go to?

• Site one: Known for good teeth, but hunted recently.
    • Site two: Unknown tooth quality, but not hunted recently.

I've got a chance to go after some teeth this weekend and I'm torn between two locations. One location is the one I have been to for my last two trips and it has produced very good teeth for our area. The down side is that I've hunted it twice in the last two weeks and I'm not sure if it has had time to refresh. The other site is a bit of an unknown. I know it is fossil bearing and I've hunted it one time in very poor conditions and it yielded only two broken teeth but one of them was a very large mako root for a tooth that was easily over 2". Distance and ease of access are comparable. Thoughts?

I'll post pictures and a report of the one I go to. If I remember, I'll bring my camera for some (hopefully) in situ shots.

Edited by mrieder79

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Go for the unknown,then you may have another site to choose from next time

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I'm on the same wagon. An unknown site can yield some of the best results. If it doesn't work for you, then you will know for the future and wont always have that "what if" in the back of your mind. I personally love exploring and any opportunity to discover new places is what I crave. Just have loads of fun and please update us on your finds.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Exploring is its own reward; finds are just a bonus :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

For me it has always been the fun of the hunt not the kill. That is the bonus as Auspex said. :D

Settled. Tomorrow I'll hit the new spot and see what I can see. I'll post my findings, if any, tomorrow when I return. Hopefully I'll find some shinies.

Edited by mrieder79

Thanks. This is arguably the best part of the trip, the hour beforehand when I am excitedly getting everything together and thinking about the possibilities. It's like christmas eve as a kid with all the unopened presents under the tree.

The trip started out with ill omens as my bike broke in the woods on the approach. Things got better from there though and I had a decent haul. Pictured below are the better finds. The meg was sitting blade up in a pile of rocks and I couldn't see that it was broken at first. Still, it is the most complete meg I have found in florida yet.

post-13111-0-02817200-1387069006_thumb.jpg

Wicked stuff!!

I'd be happy with that Meg, congratulations.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Love the Mako and Meg.Looks like a nice horse tooth too.It always pays to explore,even if you find out there isn't anything to be had at least you would know it lol.Nice work :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

But now you know there is "stuff" there, just concentrate on getting that elusive 8" meg...in it's entirety!

Dorensigbadges.JPG