Shadow Box Fossil Displays

evren

Here are some of mine. I use hot glue most of the time.

http://nautiloid.net/fossils/wall/wall.html

Those are beautiful displays. :wub:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I've been enjoying scouting for old window frames the last few months. They have great depth, interesting hardware, and can hold larger fossils than my standard 3/4 inch Riker mounts. After making a few, I would say the most important aspect of the design has become neat and easily removable backs for the individual boxes. This makes for easy adjustments when and if the glue fails, or just to freshen them up and change displays.

I used soft foam 1/2" thick initially, but found that long term the foam gets a sag from the larger fossils, even cut oversized and pressed firmly against the glass, so now I prefer stiff thin foam project board for the fossils to be hot glued onto.

here is one with the poly foam sheets... :)

post-4577-0-03963500-1387896492_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

That is very nice Carmine. The only thing I would have done different is strip the paint and give it a natural wood finish. Do you have a key to reference/label each fossil or each group?

Would that kind of foam be considered 'archival', would you know?

Edited by Wrangellian

thanks Eric - I wouldn't recommend the Poly foam, and have switched to the stiff foam board. I have been putting my labels behind the foam for the present, but lately have started numbering my fossils, to make it easier to keep a database as well... :)

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

thanks Eric - I wouldn't recommend the Poly foam, and have switched to the stiff foam board. I have been putting my labels behind the foam for the present, but lately have started numbering my fossils, to make it easier to keep a database as well... :)

I know there is a kind of foam that is supposedly archival but don't know what it's called if not 'archival foam'...

You don't mean styrofoam? I would not trust that stuff, myself, if only because I'm not sure about it)

thanks Bev :)