Shark Tooth From The Ernst Ranch Bakersfield California

MarcoSr

I want to thank Doren for sending me matrix from the Ernst Ranch in Bakersfield California. I’ll post all of the nicer specimens that I found in the matrix, when I’m through searching it all, at a later date. However, I did want to post this 7mm tooth separately. It is from the Miocene, Round Mountain Silt, Sharktooth Hill Fauna. At first I thought it was a Megachasma. Megachasma teeth are very rare from the Sharktooth Hill Fauna. They are significantly different than Lee Creek specimens and the extant species and are possibly a different genus or species. This tooth does have some damage to the base of the crown. However, serrations on the specimen rules out the Megachasma id.

post-2515-0-45947200-1387667706_thumb.jpgpost-2515-0-88239900-1387667720_thumb.jpgpost-2515-0-79087000-1387667733_thumb.jpgpost-2515-0-53379800-1387667749_thumb.jpgpost-2515-0-31754600-1387667766_thumb.jpg

Marco Sr.

Edited by MarcoSr

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Marco,

That is a beautiful tooth. Can't wait to see what else you find! I have a medium flat rate box of Doren's matrix that should arrive on Monday. Seeing this tooth has me very excited about what I might find. Hope you have a great Christmas!

Regards,

John

Edited by John Hamilton

Marco

Are those serrations along the blade? If so it might be a Physogaleus symphyseal.

Marco,

After looking at these photos on my computer (my first post was from my phone) I think I agree with Al Dente.

JH,

I agree with you and Al Dente that it is a Physogaleus symphyseal. The serrations are an indicator as well as the large lingual protuberance. I have a tooth like that and about the same size and it has serrations too. They are usually a little larger (+/- 10mm) and have more of a twist to the cusp). It is a tougher call when the crown has a little wear..

This position is very uncommon. I think I've found maybe two good ones and two beat-up ones.

Jess

Marco,

After looking at these photos on my computer (my first post was from my phone) I think I agree with Al Dente.

Marco

Are those serrations along the blade? If so it might be a Physogaleus symphyseal.

Marco,

That's exactly what I was thinking also after looking at the pictures for a long while after posting. There are serrations which would make Physogaleus or Galeocerdo symphyseal very likely. However I have a good number of Physogaleus symphseals that don't have the same exact root shape or the same exact recurved blade. But that could just be a East Coast/West Coast variation. Typically the more common id is correct although different from what is really desired. What a bummer.

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

JH,

I agree with you and Al Dente that it is a Physogaleus symphyseal. The serrations are an indicator as well as the large lingual protuberance. I have a tooth like that and about the same size and it has serrations too. They are usually a little larger (+/- 10mm) and have more of a twist to the cusp). It is a tougher call when the crown has a little wear..

This position is very uncommon. I think I've found maybe two good ones and two beat-up ones.

Jess

Jess

I agree. I should have noticed the serrations but really didn't until after I posted. I plan on blurring the photos and reposting. Will that change your mind?

Marco Sr.

That's exactly what I was thinking also after looking at the pictures for a long while after posting. There are serrations which would make Physogaleus or Galeocerdo symphyseal very likely. However I have a good number of Physogaleus symphseals that don't have the same exact root shape or the same exact recurved blade. But that could just be a East Coast/West Coast variation. Typically the more common id is correct although different from what is really desired. What a bummer.

Marco Sr.

Marco,

I suffered the same disappointment last year when I thought I found a megachasma in my Lee Creek matrix. It turned out to be a symphyseal too.

Marco,

I suffered the same disappointment last year when I thought I found a megachasma in my Lee Creek matrix. It turned out to be a symphyseal too.

John

It is disappointing. I'm just glad this specimen had the visible serrations (not that they were worn off) or I would have convinced myself it was one because I wanted it to be one.

Marco Sr.