Finds From The Last Couple Of Weeks

mrieder79

I got soooo lucky. About a month or so ago I accidentally threw out a mammal tooth I had found because it was in a pocket with some rocks that I was carrying. When I got home, I realized what I had done and was really disappointed. Can you believe I found the same tooth again this week? No lie. I couldn't believe my eyes.

The big mako is just over 2 inches due to its unusually large root. Still, I'm counting it. I also found some frags from big megs, they were huge root fragments and I could imagine how big the whole tooth was. I didn't put them in the picture though. Also found assorted smaller teeth.

post-13111-0-19962000-1387933193_thumb.jpg

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Great luck at re-finding that tooth! I like the coloration of the white tooth. Is that serations I see on that one? Great White?

Very nice Mako.That one Meg is pretty nice too.Are these from the new site you hit?Also do you know what your mammal tooth is?Congrats on the nice finds!

Edited by jcbshark

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

LOL. Boomerang tooth. Good one.

@JCB I haven't been back to the site that I think you are referring to. It's too remote for a casual morning visit.

@obsessed: I'm pretty sure it is a great white tooth but I can't be sure because of the white coloring. The white coloring actually appears to be areas that the enamel has been eaten away by something. I'm pretty sure it's GW but without being able to see whether there is a bourrelet or not, I can't be sure. I'm pretty sure it's GW though.

Thanks,and a Meg is proportionately thicker than a GW of similar size and a GW has bigger serrations than a Meg of the same size.A GW tooth would be more like a Mako in thickness typically.

Thanks,and a Meg is proportionately thicker than a GW of similar size and a GW has bigger serrations than a Meg of the same size.A GW tooth would be more like a Mako in thickness typically.

Based on that, I'm almost certain it is a GW. The serrations are coarse and it is fairly thin for its size. I'm guessing GW upper lateral.

Based on that, I'm almost certain it is a GW. The serrations are coarse and it is fairly thin for its size. I'm guessing GW upper lateral.

Sounds like it fits :)