Micros From Sharktooth Hill Bakersfield California

John Hamilton

Thanks to Doren I was able to purchase a medium USPS flat rate box of raw matrix from the Miocene, Round Mountain Silt, Sharktooth Hill Fauna from the Ernst Ranch in Bakersfield, California. There were a alot of very well preserved shark, ray, and fish specimens in the matrix. Much to my delight Cetorhinus, Sqautina, and Mustelus were the most abundant of the shark specimens. I was also suprised by the different types and quantities of dermal elements in this matrix.

If you place your cursor on a JPEG image you will see the file name which will have the specimen id as best that I can determine and the specimen size.

Cetorhinus:

post-6248-0-92010000-1388680507_thumb.jpg post-6248-0-32437600-1388680511_thumb.jpg post-6248-0-57919300-1388680515_thumb.jpg post-6248-0-47341400-1388680519_thumb.jpg post-6248-0-48328300-1388680505_thumb.jpg

Sqautina:

post-6248-0-17877200-1388680619_thumb.jpg post-6248-0-04683600-1388680614_thumb.jpg

Continued on the next post...

Nice finds!

I believe the only reconized cow shark from that location is Hexanchus andersoni.

Edited by obsessed1

Nice finds!

I believe the only reconized cow shark from that location is Hexanchus andersoni.

Thanks! I based all of my ID's on what was available at elasmo.com so you may be correct.

John

Really nice pictures. Really nice specimens. I think that the Heterodontus tooth, sp001, labeled as an anterior tooth might be a lateral tooth possibly of a juvenile.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Beautiful pics and finds as usual! :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

John

Really nice pictures. Really nice specimens. I think that the Heterodontus tooth, sp001, labeled as an anterior tooth might be a lateral tooth possibly of a juvenile.

Marco Sr.

Marco,

I was wondering about that one too because it displays charateristics of both a lateral and anterior tooth. The only reason I called it an anterior tooth was based on how I assumed the root was contructed. I'll try to post a picture of the bottom of the tooth later today.

Marco,

I was wondering about that one too because it displays charateristics of both a lateral and anterior tooth. The only reason I called it an anterior tooth was based on how I assumed the root was contructed. I'll try to post a picture of the bottom of the tooth later today.

John

If it has a V shaped root, that would change my opinion. It might be from one of the transition files that transition between anterior and lateral teeth where the teeth have an intermediate morphology. Young sharks do have more cusplets than adults.

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Nice finds!

John, your partial cowshark is a lower female Hexanchus andersoni. I have seen what I believe are in fact 7-gill Notorynchus cowshark teeth (lowers) from Shark Tooth Hill, but they are quite rare; probably only located in one of the formations/locations/quarries.

Daryl.

John, your partial cowshark is a lower female Hexanchus andersoni. I have seen what I believe are in fact 7-gill Notorynchus cowshark teeth (lowers) from Shark Tooth Hill, but they are quite rare; probably only located in one of the formations/locations/quarries.

Daryl.

Thanks Daryl!

John

If it has a V shaped root, that would change my opinion. It might be from one of the transition files that transition between anterior and lateral teeth where the teeth have an intermediate morphology. Young sharks do have more cusplets than adults.

Marco Sr.

Marco,

It has no root left at all but in comparing it to the other anterior teeth it looks like it would have had the v-shaped root.

Marco,

It has no root left at all but in comparing it to the other anterior teeth it looks like it would have had the v-shaped root.

John

With its 3mm size and V shaped root, it is probably from one of the anterior to lateral transition files.

Marco Sr.