Paula Found A Bug

mikeymig

My girlfriend Paula collects with me from time to time but doesn’t like to dig. She likes to walk around and surface collect and has started to build her own collection. The last time we went collecting together, I was in the stream splitting shale looking for trilobites and she went in the nearby woods with a zip lock bag. In the woods she found a dry ravine that drained out on to the forest floor. She found a bunch of corals and brachiopods lying on the ground and quickly filled her bag. Paula has always wanted to find a trilobite and I told her she’s going to have to dig to find one cuz they aren’t just lying around. On her way back to the stream to get another bag she found this trilobite. I would have been pretty excited to find this guy but Paula was very cool about it and put it in her pocket. When she showed me her bag of goodies I was surprised she found so much stuff. Then she reaches into her pocket and says “Oh yeah I also found this”. I told her that she was lucky to find it and that it has its original color pattern preserved, pretty rare. On the way home it occurred to me that not only did she find her first trilobite Paula is also a Seneca indian and the stream we were at was named for a Seneca indian chief. I thought it was cool but she just called me a nerd.

Thanks

Mikey

1491394_566370276787416_2114915772_o.jpg

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Wow, that's a real nice trilobite! Congratulations to you both, on a great trip fossiling:) Hope the New Year brings you both plenty more::)

Wow!

Congratulations to Paula on the rare find!

I find these spotted trilos to be fascinating.

This one is absolutely spectacular.

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2"!

Where is the color pattern, I can't tell?

btw your pics lately are being stretched somehow on my browser, I don't know what's causing it, but it's just your pics, no one else's.

2"!

btw your pics lately are being stretched somehow on my browser, I don't know what's causing it, but it's just your pics, no one else's.

I don't know what is causing that, but if you click on them, they open, with correct proportions, in a new tab.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

2"!

The black dots are the color pattern. Sorry about the photos maybe I should just upload them instead of copy paste.

Mikey

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

...I should just upload them instead of copy paste.

Yes, please :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hope this is better!

post-7129-0-29413000-1389231285_thumb.jpg

led zeppelin

That is a really nice trilobite. You take really great photos BTW. What are you using to take them?

Robert
Southeast, MO

That is exciting for Paula! Thanks for sharing.

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

That's one very remarkable bug. Big congratulations to Paula. Sounds like both of you had a great time. My girlfriend likes to collect the same way and back in May she found an absolutely perfect paleozygopleura (corkscrew shaped, ribbed gastropod) weathered out of the shale at Pompey Center. It was the definately the find of the day. Best wishes to both of you. Happy hunting!!!

Thanks people! Paula won't admit but she's pretty proud. I put it in my display case on a base with all my enrolled Eldredgeops and she got all lippy and said " hey that's mine and I want it on my bookcase". :)

Mikey

led zeppelin

LOL MIne is the same way. She doesn't really collect, but when she found a vert at Cape May, she quickly hid it and wont let me put it with other stuff.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Mikey & Paula, just Wowwowowowowowooowowowo! I never knew such a fantastic type of trilo existed. Love the story about how she found it, too. Reminds me of fossiling w/my guy (who mostly just came along to be companionable), when he steps out of the car and looks down at the ditch where he pulls a hefty cephalopod out of the weeds, sparkling with quart crystals. This is while I'm climbing precariously along the cut to the cephalopod layer, ha!

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

Thanks everyone! I didn't know that it was a good one or not. Mike has some real nice trilobites that look like they are alive and mine looks like a piece of crumpled up paper. I think Mike was more excited then I was. :) We collect at such pretty places I don't care if I don't find anything. But after finding this trilobite I now want to find one that looks alive or a baby trilobite. Paula

Congrats to you Paula! That is one heck of a great find for your first trilo! My first trilo was like half of the head ha ha. Happy hunting!

-CQ