Florida Members Get Together For A Hunt

jcbshark

What a haul! Love that lower mako. I really like how dark the enamel is.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

MakoMeCrazy!! haha. Great finds!

Great minds think alike. I hadn't noticed your username before but I think I've got more than a clue as to your favorite shark species.

At the risk of learning another username on this forum, Saturday was very Mako-rific!

Cheers.

-Ken

What a haul! Love that lower mako. I really like how dark the enamel is.

It made the day (in terms of finds) for both my wife and I. The real treasure of the day though was putting faces to usernames on TFF. Though we all come from different backgrounds we were united in a single passion and that is pretty much the hallmark of a fun day out in the field.

The big lower mako is my favorite shark tooth of the year (but this year has a long way to go)....

Cheers.

-Ken

Finally got out the camera to provide some additional eye candy from our weekend hunt. As you can see from the photos below shark teeth were plentiful and in some cases decent size. We also scored well with plenty of fish scales, pufferfish mouth plates, gator teeth and a few interesting pieces including a tapir molar and an unidentified incisor and vertebra. Not pictured but among the finds were some nice turtle shell frags, a small frag of what appears to be proboscidean tusk, a tiny (but identifiable piece) of cabybara molar and a few other odds and ends.

A few more detailed images to follow.

Cheers.

-Ken

You got some nice stuff there,you're Mako tooth was in awesome shape and I love the Tapir molar you found.I don't know why but I can't seem to sind one of those for myself lol.Maybe next time.Thank you both for coming out to hunt.I look forward to the next time :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Here are my last two picture posts from this trip--a couple of mysteries:

One is a small vertebra that is (sadly) missing most of its processes. Can anybody on the forum hazard a guess as to what type of critter might have included this among its inventory of bones?

The other is a small incisor? or at least some sort of mammal tooth. It has a flattened (worn away) top surface and a bit of a "keel" on either side giving it a flattened appearance. If this tooth is not immediately obvious to those with more knowledge than I then I can always take additional angles to help secure an ID.

Thus concludes my eye candy contribution to the results of this Florida members get-together hunt.

Cheers.

-Ken

Hey Ken,I'm no expert but that vert looks similar to some dolphin verts I've seen.Also I'm sure you know how much tooth size varies from location in the mouth and even from 2 sharks the same size but I've always used 1 inch of tooth for 10 feet of shark so your Mako would be in the neighborhood of 18 ft give or take.I'm sure that formula isn't perfect but it at least sounds reasonable to me.

It is really interesting to see all of the different turtle shell patterns. I wonder if one species had a wide variety of patterns or they are from different species?

Marco Sr.

Gonna have to defer to Jeff and gang and/or the vert and Peace River folks on answering that. I'd like to know as well. From the one book I have the "peanut-shell" surface is a soft shell turtle but I dont know whether there are more than one species represented in these finds. There is quite a bit of variety and some includes tortoise as well. Here's another photo of some more pieces. post-1240-0-20730200-1389664989_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing one of the other folks probably snagged some bigger shell fragments---there was certainly a good amount to choose from. Hope someone picked up some beauties and can share!

As I was going thru other finds to take this 2nd shot of more turtle material I found to my surprise what I believe is a fairly small armadillo dermal plate--something I've never seen before in any creek but I seen it in books.

post-1240-0-23543200-1389664968_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-93749200-1389664969_thumb.jpg

In going thru Florida fossils book it appears to be maybe Dasypus? I'm way out of my comfort zone on this stuff--but its fun looking/researching!

Regards, Chris

Here is a close-up of the tapir molar. It is well worn with the cusps ground down significantly. I only noticed while photographing this tooth that the surface has an interesting ridged texture to it resembling finger prints. Unfortunately, as with most tapir molar dug up from a gravel pile in a river or creek the root of this tooth is pretty much non-existent. I guess the chewing surface is more dense than the underlying bone as it seems to survive the rigors of transit from tapir mouth to my sifter.

I do enjoy the mammal teeth quite a bit due to their relative rarity (when compared to the abundance of shark teeth).

-Ken

Ken, sweet finds all!

Thanks for making the trek and showing us the cool stuff. Regards, Chris

Gonna have to defer to Jeff and gang and/or the vert and Peace River folks on answering that. I'd like to know as well. From the one book I have the "peanut-shell" surface is a soft shell turtle but I dont know whether there are more than one species represented in these finds. There is quite a bit of variety and some includes tortoise as well. Here's another photo of some more pieces. attachicon.gifTurtle fragments 2.jpg

I'm guessing one of the other folks probably snagged some bigger shell fragments---there was certainly a good amount to choose from. Hope someone picked up some beauties and can share!

As I was going thru other finds to take this 2nd shot of more turtle material I found to my surprise what I believe is a fairly small armadillo dermal plate--something I've never seen before in any creek but I seen it in books.

attachicon.gifDasypus sp ventral.jpgattachicon.gifDasypus sp dorsal1.jpg

In going thru Florida fossils book it appears to be maybe Dasypus? I'm way out of my comfort zone on this stuff--but its fun looking/researching!

Regards, Chris

Chris

It is always great when you find something that you hadn't originally noticed when you reexamine your trip finds, especially when it is new to your collection. There is definitely soft shell turtle in your specimens. We see that in Virginia. Some of the other shell may be pond turtle or sea turtle in addition to tortoise.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Here are some pictures of my finds from my follow up trips there. Sorry about the lighting, I was outside on a picnic table. Just the usual teeth assortment, nothing super exciting except for this talon of sorts and I am not sure what it is. Take a look.

post-6050-0-13598000-1389839050_thumb.jpgpost-6050-0-89129300-1389839053_thumb.jpg

Given what appears to be a remnant of a ring around the base and the curved rounded shape my first thought would be a giant tortoise leg spur. Do a google image search and see if you find images that seem to match your fossil.

The one that really intrigues me is in the second image of your first pair of images. right toward the middle of the photo is a really nice molar with a sweet pair of roots still attached. I'd love to see a close-up of that tooth. Great assortment of other teeth including some nice horse molars and gator parts.

Despite the cold wave heading down from the north this week hope you are enjoying the relative warmth of South Florida compared with your native New Jersey.

Cheers.

-Ken

I think Ken got that ID right on the head!

Speaking of identifications, Dr. Hulbert has tentatively identified my mystery tooth pictured in post #24 of this thread (above) as likely the canine tooth from a male horse. Apparently canines are better developed in the male of the species. If so, then I've succeeded in finding molars, incisors, and canines and I'm well on my way to either a successful career in horse dentistry or completing my Lego fossil horse kit. :)

Gonna be a chilly weekend in South Florida by all accounts so I may have to indulge my fossil fix vicariously through TFF for a while.

Cheers.

-Ken

post-6050-0-75025600-1389976449_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of the finds from day 1 - only the noteworthy ones to show, gators and nice teeth with the Meg frag.

That is one sweet tooth! No pun intended--well, maybe a little.

Kinda matches some of the peccary pics I have in my ID books. Anybody with some experience identifying mammal molars care to weigh in and make a definitive ID?

With the full roots, this single tooth would make a day of digging well worth it.

Congratulations on that find.

Cheers.

-Ken

Speaking of identifications, Dr. Hulbert has tentatively identified my mystery tooth pictured in post #24 of this thread (above) as likely the canine tooth from a male horse. Apparently canines are better developed in the male of the species. If so, then I've succeeded in finding molars, incisors, and canines and I'm well on my way to either a successful career in horse dentistry or completing my Lego fossil horse kit. :)

Gonna be a chilly weekend in South Florida by all accounts so I may have to indulge my fossil fix vicariously through TFF for a while.

Cheers.

-Ken

Congrats Ken on the find/tentative canine ID! I'm working on my Lego turtle kit as well. Regards, Chris

attachicon.gifFossil 1.jpg

Here is a picture of the finds from day 1 - only the noteworthy ones to show, gators and nice teeth with the Meg frag.

Nice finds,especially the Meg frag Caleb! Regards, Chris

What a fun day day fossil hunting in Florida! Thanks to JCB,we were able to meet up with others members of the Fossil Forum to hunt and have a good time. It looks like there were some pretty good finds from the creek by everyone. Here's a few of our finds from the day. Enjoy,Jim

post-637-0-42389800-1389979693_thumb.jpg post-637-0-31297900-1389979726_thumb.jpg

post-637-0-42026600-1389979753_thumb.jpg

beachbum,

Some nice teeth in that collection. Out little group had pretty good luck that day--lots of interesting finds between us all.To me it was notable for the greater percentage of larger whole teeth (dusky, hemi, and tiger in particular).

Thanks for the marathon driving haul coming all the way down from Georgia for the day. It is true that fossil hunters are passionate about their addiction.

Cheers.

-Ken

What a fun day day fossil hunting in Florida! Thanks to JCB,we were able to meet up with others members of the Fossil Forum to hunt and have a good time. It looks like there were some pretty good finds from the creek by everyone. Here's a few of our finds from the day. Enjoy,Jim

attachicon.gifDSCF1602.JPG attachicon.gifDSCF1604.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF1606.JPG

Jim/Sally, thanks for showing your finds! Good stuff! We all did pretty good. Regards, Chris

attachicon.gifDSCF1602.JPG attachicon.gifDSCF1604.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF1606.JPG

Hey Jim,looks like you guys did pretty good as well.It was really nice to meet you and Sally,thanks for making the trip.I look forward to hunting with you again.Let me know when you'll be in the area and I would be happy to take you to my little creek I hunt down this way!

Thanks Ken,Chris & Jeff. It was a bit of a drive for the Saturady hunt,but it was a fun day and we had some nice finds. We look forward to meeting up with you guys again for another exciting hunt.