Penguin Flipper Bone

Doctor Mud

I had a chance to visit a quarry in the South Island, New Zealand during my recent trip there.

There is a late Oligocene sequence comprising greensand overlain by limestone. The limestone is mined for lime so new material is being exposed all the time.

My goal was to look for sharks teeth in the processed piles of lime in the quarry. These piles contain the coarser material left over after crushing and sieving so unfortunately any larger material is a little worse for wear. I thought it would be worth a look since small sharks teeth would have survived the process.

I came across this bone fragment that I believe is the humerus (upper flipper bone) of a large penguin. This is the distal end (closer to the tip of the flipper). I took before and after prep. shots. The limestone is quite soft here and could be removed with a needle and stiff artists brush. After removing the matrix the bone was stabilised with PVA dissolved in acetone.

post-11936-0-34919700-1389527386_thumb.jpg

Below is a comparison of the humerus of a Little Blue Penguin (Eudyptula minor) with this humerus fragment. The Little Blue Penguin stands about 30 cm tall. Fossil penguins have been found in New Zealand that are larger than the Emperor penguin. Kairuku (also from the Late Oligocene) was at least 12 inches taller than the modern Emperor Penguin.

post-11936-0-93798500-1389528035_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with your conclusion, and am very, very jealous!

Outstanding find!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes, definitely an important find - you might want to contact Ewan Fordyce (ewan.fordyce@otago.ac.nz) at the University of Otago, Department of Geology. This might be an important fossil; if so, you should consider donating it through Ewan - I'm sure they'd make a good cast for you to display.

I haven't looked at penguin bones and fossils for a while, but this humerus seems relatively much broader than any I remember, although it is hard to judge, since I can't really get a feel for how much of the end is missing.

Worthy candidate for VFOTM, I think.

Rich

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

The "wrinkles" in the cranial surface, distal end, are the subject of a paper:

post-423-0-17111000-1389542376_thumb.jpg

"Penguin heat retention structures..."

LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

You might have a Platydyptes rather than a Kairuku - it depends upon which formation you collected it from (Kokoamu Greensand or the Otekaike Limestone). Admittedly, it might be too large for a Platydyptes (Kairuku was certainly a beast of a bird). We have all of the Kairuku type material in our department here at Otago (I'm a Ph.D. student of Ewan Fordyce at U. Otago studying fossil baleen whales from the Otekaike LS and Kokoamu GS).

Many future studies of fossil penguins are needed, and your specimen is certainly interesting, so if you are interested in making a contribution to science, our collections are definitely an appropriate repository for specimens of that sort. I'm emailing this page to my adviser, R. Ewan Fordyce.

Edit: I forgot to mention that were are set up to make molds and casts of fossils in our lab, and a molding a specimen of this size would be quite easy.

Edited by Boesse

The "wrinkles" in the cranial surface, distal end, are the subject of a paper:

attachicon.gif~.JPG

"Penguin heat retention structures..."

LINK

Thanks Auspex - very interesting paper. Thanks for posting the link.

You might have a Platydyptes rather than a Kairuku - it depends upon which formation you collected it from (Kokoamu Greensand or the Otekaike Limestone). Admittedly, it might be too large for a Platydyptes (Kairuku was certainly a beast of a bird). We have all of the Kairuku type material in our department here at Otago (I'm a Ph.D. student of Ewan Fordyce at U. Otago studying fossil baleen whales from the Otekaike LS and Kokoamu GS).

Many future studies of fossil penguins are needed, and your specimen is certainly interesting, so if you are interested in making a contribution to science, our collections are definitely an appropriate repository for specimens of that sort. I'm emailing this page to my adviser, R. Ewan Fordyce.

Edit: I forgot to mention that were are set up to make molds and casts of fossils in our lab, and a molding a specimen of this size would be quite easy.

Hi there,

If you think this would make a useful contribution to the University fossil penguin collection I would be happy to donate this specimen. Just let me know and I can organize to deliver it to the Geology Department at Otago University.

Yes - this specimen appears to be from the Otekaike Limestone. The bone was not in situ but I took photos of the attached matrix (looks like Otekaike limestone) and kept the matrix I removed in a vial. I noticed forams in the matrix and I thought they might be useful to provide a context.

Fantastic! I'll PM you with my email address and we can get this started.

...I took photos of the attached matrix (looks like Otekaike limestone) and kept the matrix I removed in a vial. I noticed forams in the matrix and I thought they might be useful to provide a context.

Very well done, Sir!

I'll throw this in... I donated a specimen to one of Bobby's studies and he gave me back an excellent cast... Thanks Bobby.

This is what makes it all worth while!

Rich

I couldn't agree more. Great find, Doctor Mud!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ