Two Articles On The 2013 Florida Artifact Arrests

PrehistoricFlorida

There has been much criticism of the prosecutors in this case, and more to come as the real facts come out and sink in.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

There has been much criticism of the prosecutors in this case, and more to come as the real facts come out and sink in.

There should be endless amounts of criticism and public outcry over this to not only the prosecutor, but also to law enforcement and the elected officials who signed these vague statutes into law. Unfortunately, in the public's eye "innocent until proven guilty" is a way of the past. Everyone needs to realize that fossils are next if we don't do something about this now.

I suspect that these articles are presenting a somewhat biased view of the entire investigation and certain people with economic interests in the sale of artifacts are interested, not in the enjoyment of collecting, but in the subsequent sales. I'm aware of individuals who have used heavy equipment on land, not their own, to look for points in Marion county. I also understand that state land has been sluced, trenched and tunneled without authorization.

I've been stopped and sited by wildlife officers in Alachua county and as much as I disagree with the current restrictions, I blame commercial interests serving the collecting community and their aggressive practices used to obtain inventory. The dragnet may have been thrown too wide, but a pair of Tampa newspaper articles are not what I would make regulatory assessments based on.

As far as defending the isolated finds policy (which I would like reinstated), I wonder what percentage of what was found was eventually reported? What percentage of Florida fossils do you think are reported as required by the permitting process?

Perhaps if a wildlife officer was a forum member we might hear more of the story.

I suspect that these articles are presenting a somewhat biased view of the entire investigation and certain people with economic interests in the sale of artifacts are interested, not in the enjoyment of collecting, but in the subsequent sales. I'm aware of individuals who have used heavy equipment on land, not their own, to look for points in Marion county. I also understand that state land has been sluced, trenched and tunneled without authorization.

I've been stopped and sited by wildlife officers in Alachua county and as much as I disagree with the current restrictions, I blame commercial interests serving the collecting community and their aggressive practices used to obtain inventory. The dragnet may have been thrown too wide, but a pair of Tampa newspaper articles are not what I would make regulatory assessments based on.

As far as defending the isolated finds policy (which I would like reinstated), I wonder what percentage of what was found was eventually reported? What percentage of Florida fossils do you think are reported as required by the permitting process?

Perhaps if a wildlife officer was a forum member we might hear more of the story.

Digging on state lands is a problem, no doubt. However, none of the charges in this sting stem from dry land-found artifacts. In the words of a friend of mine, "If diggers were their target, then why did they arrest divers???"

It's important to note that this sting was concluded and arrests were made roughly 6 days before FWC's annual budget committee meeting before the legislature. It seems they're trying to justify their existence.

It's impossible to guess what percentage of artifacts found during IFP were reported. However, suppose it was as low as the 23% number that the state claims, isn't 23% better than the 0% of artifacts that have been reported since?? I would guess that the percentage of fossils reported under the Florida fossil permit is much higher as reporting is required to obtain a new permit. There was no permit and therefore no repercussions to noncompliance under IFP.

If you want to hear FWC's side, you can read their press release. I think you will find it far more biased.

http://myfwc.com/news/news-releases/2013/february/27/artifacts-arrests/

• 2 weeks later...