Unidentified Bone With Possible Bite Marks

Doctor Mud

I found this bone in the same pile of processed limestone that I found the penguin humerus (See post on penguin flipper bone in this forum).

The sediment is the Otekaike Limestone and is Late Oligocene. I had a very good look for the rest of the penguin humerus. No luck but I did find this interesting bone fragment. Possibly too fragmentary to identify - could it be cetacean (whale or dolphin)?

post-11936-0-98637300-1389591752_thumb.jpg

Upon closer inspection I noticed several grooves and striations on the bone. My immediate interpretation was that these could be damage due to the lime processing.

After carefully cleaning the bone I'm not so sure that these grooves are damage caused during mining. Some were still filled with hard limestone (so it most likely didn't cake on after mining).

Could these be bite marks? The grooves in the image below certainly remind me of Carcharocles angustidens teeth (image on the right) which would have been swimming around in these waters at the same time.

post-11936-0-16585100-1389592001_thumb.jpg

Those very well could be bite marks. I have a couple of pieces of bone with bite marks on them and yours looks like one of mine.

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

Yup, correctly identified. Marine vertebrate bones from the Kokoamu-Otekaike sequence are frequently bioeroded and preserve a wide range of traces including shark and bony fish tooth marks, echinoid rasping marks, gastropod grazing traces, and others. I have a dissertation chapter on this topic, as it happens.

Yup, correctly identified. Marine vertebrate bones from the Kokoamu-Otekaike sequence are frequently bioeroded and preserve a wide range of traces including shark and bony fish tooth marks, echinoid rasping marks, gastropod grazing traces, and others. I have a dissertation chapter on this topic, as it happens.

Thanks Bobby,

Is this going to be published in a paper (or will it be)? I'd love to read this !