Crikey!

hokiehunter

I'm not sure why but whenever I find a croc tooth my first thought is "Crikey!". I guess it's the Steve Irwin effect. Anyways that was my first thought when I spotted this beast in about a foot of water. A little over 2.5" and in really good shape. A few small enamel dings and some tip wear from the original owner but other than that it is in awesome shape. Easily my biggest croc tooth from the VA/MD region (they usually average around 1 inch) and the biggest non rooted tooth I have ever seen from this region. I'm sure folks out there have bigger but this is probably equivalent to finding a 5" meg in these parts so I am quite pleased with it. Not much else found on the trip. Cliff side beaches are a complete mess right now. Lots of nasty deep mud from the recent freeze thaws and not much gravel or sand to be found.

post-2363-0-31731400-1389809622_thumb.jpg

Once bitten... I feel so sorry for you, cause now every tooth you find from here on will probably pale in comparison. Great find!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

That sure is a nice tooth, hh.

I have found croc teeth too but nothing that big, and like caldigger says, now all your croc teeth finds will pale compared to this one unless of course it is bigger !

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

Congrats! A beast that size sure makes up for not finding much else. That ranks right up there compared to anything I've ever seen and/or found. The Miocene croc teeth seem to be bigger than most of the Paleocene and Eocene teeth I have ever found. I do have a couple Paleocene croc teeth that are prolly close to 2".

Daryl.

Congrats! A beast that size sure makes up for not finding much else. That ranks right up there compared to anything I've ever seen and/or found. The Miocene croc teeth seem to be bigger than most of the Paleocene and Eocene teeth I have ever found. I do have a couple Paleocene croc teeth that are prolly close to 2".

Daryl.

Hi Daryl, Thanks. yeah... a beast for sure. My biggest before this was right around 2" and I thought it was a monster. The largest I have ever seen from the area is a pristine 3" tooth with the full root. In terms of measuring a tooth by enamel length this one is gonna be tough to beat any time soon for me though. Definitely a trip maker.

Congrats on that monster chomper!

The only time I want to see a gator tooth that large while standing in the Peace River is when it is nestled among the gravel in my strainer. I'd hate to come across that tooth attached to its owner. That's definitely in the "We're gonna need a bigger boat" category. If I found that and not another fossil the entire day I'd still score it in the win column.

Cheers.

-Ken

Tripmaker! Love those huge crocs

Finding it sitting in a bit of water probably made it all that much sweeter

Greg

That is indeed an incredibly large tooth. Nice find.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.