Problems With Paasche Air Eraser.

Lmshoemaker

I need help with my paasche air eraser. A few weeks ago it quit on me, I don't know why. A small spring came loose, but the only thing this does to my knowledge is brings the button back up after it has been pressed down. My problem is that I am getting air flow, but no powder flow. There seems to be no air circulation to the cup, and air is going straight from the hose to the nozzle as far as I am aware. When I pressed the button before (with the lid off) the abrasive would well up, but once it stopped working, pressing the button down, the abrasive just stays there, idle. Does anybody know what would cause this? I have cleaned it, and made sure there is no abrasive clogging it, so I am clueless.

Unscrew the nozzle and look through it. It may be clogged. Failing that, you will have to take apart the trigger assembly. The dust screen may be clogged or come loose and now there is powder inhibiting the action of the trigger. Aside from that, try unscrewing the cup. At the bottom of the internal tube, you will see a brass ring. Look carefully and you will see two very tiny pin holes in that ring. They do get clogged from time to time. Take a small needle and push into those holes to dislodge anything that may be stuck. Matter of fact, try that before the other remedies. That is the only reason your abrasive would not well up. Good luck.

Unscrew the nozzle and look through it. It may be clogged. Failing that, you will have to take apart the trigger assembly. The dust screen may be clogged or come loose and now there is powder inhibiting the action of the trigger. Aside from that, try unscrewing the cup. At the bottom of the internal tube, you will see a brass ring. Look carefully and you will see two very tiny pin holes in that ring. They do get clogged from time to time. Take a small needle and push into those holes to dislodge anything that may be stuck. Matter of fact, try that before the other remedies. That is the only reason your abrasive would not well up. Good luck.

Where is the dust screen you mention & how do you get to it, to clean it ?

Edited by Krazy Rick

I will try this, particularly what you said about the brass ring, I cleaned it after posting this, and it is now welling up, but just a little, so perhaps one of those pinholes is clogged.

Yes, one of those holes in the brass ring must be clogged. Find a very narrow needle to clear it. The screen I spoke of is in front of the trigger mechanism. To get to it, you have to disassemble the trigger mechanism. You will see it inside the body of the tool. It actually looks more like a small disk of metal beads all stuck together. Honestly, I think the brass ring is the issue though. If the screen were clogged or somehow shifted, you would have a tougher time engaging the trigger because it would be inhibited by the media you use getting in that area. This doesn't sound like your issue so focus on the two pin holes in the brass ring is what I suggest.

Yes, one of those holes in the brass ring must be clogged. Find a very narrow needle to clear it. The screen I spoke of is in front of the trigger mechanism. To get to it, you have to disassemble the trigger mechanism. You will see it inside the body of the tool. It actually looks more like a small disk of metal beads all stuck together. Honestly, I think the brass ring is the issue though. If the screen were clogged or somehow shifted, you would have a tougher time engaging the trigger because it would be inhibited by the media you use getting in that area. This doesn't sound like your issue so focus on the two pin holes in the brass ring is what I suggest.

Yep, one of them is clogged, I am having a hard time getting it unclogged, but I was able to remove some of the material obstructing it.

• 1 month later...

I just got my paasche air eraser. I tried using baking soda and the aluminum oxide it came with but I'm not seeing much come out or cut. I was fiddling with it when I noticed that it cuts the most as I take my finger off of the trigger. I just upgraded from a dremel so I need a good air eraser tutorial or introduction.

I just got my paasche air eraser. I tried using baking soda and the aluminum oxide it came with but I'm not seeing much come out or cut. I was fiddling with it when I noticed that it cuts the most as I take my finger off of the trigger. I just upgraded from a dremel so I need a good air eraser tutorial or introduction.

Hello Hobbitfeet! :)

Can you tell us what model Paasche you purchased? Is it a cup top feed model, or remote model?

What kind of compressor are you using, and at what PSI?

Do you have an inline water/oil filter, and a dessicant filter attached?

Have you tried drying your media in an oven, and sifting it?

Have you checked for clogs in the air eraser nozzle?

Have you removed the cup and cleaned it out good with air, water, and air again?

Answer these questions and we'll try to help.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's a cup top model. I'm using this big compressor I'm borrowing without any filter/dryer. I've tried high and low PSI. I haven't tried drying and sifting the media yet. I took apart the eraser and didn't find any clogs. I did manage to lose an O-ring while I took it apart. So I'll have to wait for the new one to arrive in the mail before I try using it again.

...I haven't tried drying and sifting the media yet...

Do this. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Hobbitfeet, waiting for such things to come in the mail seems kinda frustrating. The O rings in these tools are all standard sizes that you can get at a hardware store. Up to you what you do, but I know I'd go nuts without the use of my tools for even one day....which is why I have two of everything just in case. LOL

The reason your eraser cuts the most when you pull off the trigger, in my experience, is caused by one thing:

You have too much soda in the cup. If you fill it right to the top, not only do you disallow the soda to be blown about the cup due to the lack of open space to do so in there, you also create a situation where the tube that feeds down to the exhaust area gets packed with way too much soda, which obstructs the airflow from the trigger to the exhaust outlet. What happens is that you basically create a constant heavy flow of soda...a dam, if you will. When you release the trigger, the soda in the cup is allowed to fall back into the cup, clearing the opening of the tube and the air built up behind the soda dam can break that dam because the soda blocking the tube inside the cup has released the back pressure from inside. So what you get is a real heavy dose of soda. It seems cool, but believe me, you want to control the tool, not the other way around. So that was a long explanation to say, try filling the cup only about 2/3 full, and turn the screw on the lid all the way down, then while having the trigger engaged, open the screw in quarter turn increments until you are comfortable with the action of the tool on the material you are working on. It will differ all the time.

The other thing it could be is that you have the screw on the cap open too much and causing the same situation described above to occur. Bottom line, too much media is getting into the exhaust chamber and the tool can't expel it fast enough.

Good luck,

Jim

Edited by trilobite nut

Thanks for all of the help. I got the o ring and was using the aluminum oxide with good results. But today I was using baking soda with little effect. I'll try trilobite nut's method and see how it goes.

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a Paasche AEC-K Abrasive sprayer kit to clean fossils. However, I am not sure which compressor to buy. I am limited due to the fact that I live in an apartment with neighbours. Which PSI would be reasonable to choose for this purpose?

Do you think the following compressor would be suitable?

http://www.leroymerlin.es/fp/16298996/compresor-7919ca?idCatPadre=10681&pathFamilaFicha=040702

Any advice on this issue will be highly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!