A Walk Down To The Ocean Floor

toolbox82

This is a view of a 60 million year old marine seafloor that is only about 6 to 7 feet below the surface on our property.

The brown top layer is caused from oxidation of the iron in the shale. The brown layer is only about 6 inches thick and for the surface to have only oxidized 6 inches in 60 million years is very rare and unusual. The very extreme slow rate of oxidation of the marine shale and amount of natural spring water that is covering the shale is amazing. This rare natural event has provided a wealth of information to the science community, in addition the fossils in the dark shale are preserved in an unaltered condition.

Take a look at the photo with my boot in the frame. The dark black marks and patterns are carbon marks from decomposed plant matter.

Carl.

excavation site #4 fossils 006

excavation site #4 fossils 050

excavation site #4 fossils 053

excavation site #4 fossils 009

excavation site #4 fossils 012

excavation site #4 fossils 014

excavation site #4 fossils 019

excavation site #4 fossils 020

excavation site #4 fossils 021

excavation site #4 fossils 030

excavation site #4 fossils 045

excavation site #4 fossils 040

excavation site #4 fossils 037

excavation site #4 fossils 041

excavation site #4 fossils 042

You're having way too much fun in the mud and water over there, Carl. :P I hope you continue to make additional significant finds there.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Your own private Konservat-Lagerstätten :envy:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very cool!!!

Pretty good vis, eh Bill? :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You're having way too much fun in the mud and water over there, Carl. :P I hope you continue to make additional significant finds there.

JohnJ,

Thank you, stop by and visit if your in the area.

Yes, TAMU researchers will be here this coming Tuesday the 21 Jan. to study the area and the marine shale.

TAMU has found this outcrop to be of considerable interest fo r study. I will keep .the forum members updated as to any new developments.

Carl

One of the reasons why TAMU has taken an interest as stated by one of the researchers. "The deposit is shallow water and from a facies that is not normally collected for fossils. That gives it some importance for comprehensive studies of Paleocene fossils in Texas."

Carl