Greenhorn Limestone Hunt

Ramo

Not all Kansas fossils are out west in the vast chalk fields where permission is difficult (at best) to get. In the north central part of the state there are tons of back-roads with cuts through the greenhorn limestone. You probably aren't going to find anything big enough that needs jacketing, but there are some super nice shark teeth to be found. Today was nice for this time of year, so my wife and I hunted a few old spots and a couple new ones. Here are a few pictures of what we found between noon and sundown, with a stop for lunch in-between.

Ramo

post-40-0-75559300-1390188368_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-42598900-1390188391_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-71417100-1390188432_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-03424200-1390188459_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Steve, That is some wood with bore holes. The rock was way too big to haul off given it's location, so it is still there for the taking if you want it! And I'm telling the truth, when I say that I actually did find that quarter today on the ground, although not on that rock!

Actually most of the wood is eroded away, and the rock is left behind. Did you notice where the rock that has all the teeth laid out on it has what used to be a string of fish vertebrae, but like the wood they are long gone with only the impressions remaining?

Ramo

Edited by Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Great finds. Do you clean them up with anything, or let them be? I'm always torn between cleaning and leaving as is.

. Did you notice where the rock that has all the teeth laid out on it has what used to be a string of fish vertebrae, but like the wood they are long gone with only the impressions remaining?

Ramo

I did notice that, but I can't say I knew for sure that's what it is. Very cool!

I must make time to get out there this year.

Steve

Ramo,

Great finds, and nice report.

Thanks for posting them.

Are most of the finds weathered out, or do you have to remove them from the exposure?

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The next time you hint about going out to hunt in the Greenhorn I'm going to sneak over that way. Cool finds Ramo!