Return To Sharktooth

FossilForKids

It had been almost 3 years since I last dug the Ernst quarries. Prior to that I dug with Bob or by myself dozens of times. It has always been a great escape for me. Well it was time to get away from it all so I contacedt Rob, who was an awesome host, and we came up with the plan. I camped for 4 days at slow curve and Rob has made it a great place to make a base camp. I set up a Kitchen (see breakfast photo :-)), camp fire and the place even had a porta potty and for you old timers you know that's a luxury out there :D .

I won't detail all 4 days but I had a great time of peace and adventure. Lots of teeth (photo shows sone of the best including a 1 inch dolphin tooth which I've never seen that big and what looks like a lemon shark tooth). And of course the ultimate trip maker.....a fully rooted 2 inch baby desmostylus!! It literally plopped out at slow curve and I couldn't believe it :o . No one was there and I was yelling and wanting to show some one. It was like hitting a Hole in one playing golf by yourself. Anyway I dug slow curve, east quarry reopened a small quarry that gave up 3 beautiful planus for alot of work and then I found dozens of teeth simply walking the field between quarries.

All in all it was a great trip!!

post-1292-0-36895600-1390312471_thumb.jpg

post-1292-0-46941200-1390312492_thumb.jpg

post-1292-0-30651300-1390312573_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Wow, what a great trip, sounds like! I liked the pictures, while I love people's pics of fossils they find, I also love to see photos of the trips in general:)

I'm having trouble loading this last picture.. More to come later today :-)

John, it sounds like you had a blast. I really wanted to make it out there, but the 'ol back injury decided to prevent that from happening. Maybe we can meet up someday. I did get a chance to hit the east quarry this past weekend and get a few teefers, a couple of dolphin ear bones, one whale ear bone (broken of course!) and a sperm whale tooth. I did find an oddly shaped tooth I believe was from a sea lion...not sure. Anyway, I am glad you had a good time back on the Ernst hunting grounds. Take care. Doren

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Well done, and well deserved after all your hard work! That's a nice assortment of fossils. Do you take home matrix to search for micro's?

Very cool I was there too! That is a very cool tooth you found. Looks like a hippo tooth in a way...

Pics from Sunday at Sharktooth Hill, CA. Found a nice sea lion tooth and some micro-tigers too..

post-14290-0-92891900-1390361503_thumb.jpg

John,

That Desmostylus is killer!. In all my digging I found only part of a small one once. It's sort of a mottled gray with some manganese staining. It looked like a fresh break so I dug carefully all around it but didn't find another scrap. I still kept it because it's the only one I've found. Maybe I should take a photo of it and bump the "Heartbreakers" thread with it. Oh man, that was a bummer.

I really can't complain because Bob gave me one some time before that.

I'm glad you got back out there. Even after what you've been through, you still think it is sort of a paradise.

Jess

It had been almost 3 years since I last dug the Ernst quarries. Prior to that I dug with Bob or by myself dozens of times. It has always been a great escape for me. Well it was time to get away from it all so I contacedt Rob, who was an awesome host, and we came up with the plan. I camped for 4 days at slow curve and Rob has made it a great place to make a base camp. I set up a Kitchen (see breakfast photo :-)), camp fire and the place even had a porta potty and for you old timers you know that's a luxury out there :D .

I won't detail all 4 days but I had a great time of peace and adventure. Lots of teeth (photo shows sone of the best including a 1 inch dolphin tooth which I've never seen that big and what looks like a lemon shark tooth). And of course the ultimate trip maker.....a fully rooted 2 inch baby desmostylus!! It literally plopped out at slow curve and I couldn't believe it :o . No one was there and I was yelling and wanting to show some one. It was like hitting a Hole in one playing golf by yourself. Anyway I dug slow curve, east quarry reopened a small quarry that gave up 3 beautiful planus for alot of work and then I found dozens of teeth simply walking the field between quarries.

All in all it was a great trip!!

Hi Jess,

Eventhough across the river almost killed me in 2009 I never fely worried at the Ernst quarries. Rob has done some nice things there and seems to have avision of where to go with it. The memories came flooding back....The abandoned car by the old hippie settlement where Bob would stop to feed the bunnies...........The twisty ride that made you thank the lord it didn't rsin snd the small miracle of a complete baby desmo just falling out of the wall at slow curve of all places!! I had a fire each night I was there and listened to the coyotes at sunset establishing their Turf. It was a great time and if I'm lucky I'll do it maybe once a year.

Hey!! It's been a long time. Still digging Florida? Have you been back to STH?

That Desmo tooth is a killer find, Congrats! I hope to make it back out one day but it could be awhile before that day comes.

• I found this Informative 1

Yes still going to Peace river on occasion and almost made it back out to sth a few times but I've had too many distractions. Reading your excellent report made me feel like I was there. That's my favorite part of this forum.

I will be in Tucson first week of feb so let me know if you happen by that neighborhood. Same for Kevin I see just posted.

If either one of you want to go you can fly in at Burbank or LAX and save rental car money or hop to bakersfield money I can pick you up and it's only a couple hours to the site and we could get together again. Same goes for Marco and family.

If either one of you want to go you can fly in at Burbank or LAX and save rental car money or hop to bakersfield money I can pick you up and it's only a couple hours to the site and we could get together again. Same goes for Marco and family.

John

Thank you for your kind offer. The boys and I really like the Ernst Ranch and hopefully we will get back again. If you come back to the MD/VA area please let me know so we can get together.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I agree, Much appreciated offer. This whole thread is bringing back many memories. I was just thinking about Marco's huge mako and Kevin's giant meg from a few years back. Amazing finds. I'll be in touch if I can get back out there.

-mike