The Bay Of Funday (Canada) In January

redleaf101

I do mean it when I say 'Funday'.. 'cause its always fun to adventure in this area. Here's an attempt to visit fossil localities during the Winter months.

Taken from my blog post http://redleafz.blogspot.ca/2014/01/bay-of-fundy-in-january.html

Bay of Fundy in January

In the Maritimes its a slow time of year when you hit the Winter months. With Winter, comes the inevitable Winter blue and it sucks. This Winter started pretty nasty around the Holidays with several snow storms blanketing the area. Coming into January 2014, we got a few days of reprieve with above normal temperatures. I decided to hit the road to try to snap myself out of this Winter torpor. Here's a few photos:

Joggins, Nova Scotia

1.jpg

From Hardscrabble road heading South. You can see the Joggins Fossil Center on the left.

2.jpg

The force of the bay is so great that it just piles ice and creates this awesome scenery.

3.jpg

Fossil cliffs at Joggins down Lower Cove. Not easily accessible in Winter and very dangerous.

4.jpg

View from the bridge down Shulie road, overlooking the old road structures.

5.jpg

Chunks of ice covery most of the beach. Hard to walk and tricky to step on. Glad to see a few patches of rocky ground to step on.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Alma, New Brunswick

9.jpg

Coming down from Fundy Park we noticed this rainbow. It was about 6 degrees Celcius and there were some scattered showers that didn't last very long. A few drizzles really.

10.jpg

Alma wharf.

11.jpg

My buddy Phil enjoying a little stroll.

12.jpg

My older brother Don trying to have a photo showdown.

13.jpg

I get easily distracted.

14.jpg

Nice view of the beach from the road. Here in Alma the beach is mostly cleared of ice.

15.jpg

16.jpg

Carboniferous bearing cliffs seen here in the background.

17.jpg
Edited by redleaf101

Hi redleaf101,

I loved your photos! I felt like I was along for the ride, watching the scenery drift by. I love pictures of fossils, but it's even more fun when you can see the whole adventure of finding them:)

JustPlainPetrified, I suggest you do Joggins, Parrsboro, and somehow find your way in Cape Breton =P .. you won't be disappointed.

What beautiful scenery and awesome photos.

And here I thought I was brave going on a hunt last weekend. The high was 68 degrees.

You have my utmost respect!