Heading To Gainesville Tomorrow, Any Advice?

mrieder79

I may be going collecting in Gainesville tomorrow. This will be my first trip to Gainesville. I have a map of all the creeks and was planning on hitting Hogtown since it seems to be the largest and there are many access points.

If anyone has any advice on what the formations look like there or particular local rules I need to be aware of or any other tips, I would appreciate it.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Unfortunately I don't know the area so I can't help with site advice, but you might take out some sifted creek gravel, if you can, to look for micros. The micro shark, ray, fish and other specimens can be nicely preserved and have great colors from the Gainesville creeks. If you don't want to lug out 5 gallon buckets of sifted gravel, you can at least throw some sifted gravel into gallon baggies and carry them out in a back pack. I'd use window screen to sift most of the gravel. Also, if you have a .5mm sift or if not you can use something like a fine flour sift, you might take a sample of some finer gravel. Good luck.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Quick advice... most creeks in Gainesville contain good shark teeth and fossils further you travel up the creeks away from frequent traveled areas the better the luck. Fresh exposure or washouts the best. Look for gravel and steep edge banks. Good luck post your finds!

Good luck and I too am hoping for some picture worthy finds for your collection.

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!