Help. Going To Miami Beach. Any Fossils To Be Had

tj102569

Anyone help with some info? Anyone want to meet up to fossil hunt. ? Wife's in conference wed-sun. I need to find some fossils.

Miami beach is full of fossils. They are wearing the shorts and black socks :P But seriously all of south Florida is littered with fossil coral, shells, etc. Most of the mammal and shark fossils seem to be more to the north.

You won't find any fossils in Miami Beach, unless there's a store selling them.

To find anything fossil related down in that part of Florida you'll probably have to go inland. Once you go inland and find some of the canals and the material that was dug up to create some of the canals does have fossil material. I have only really found shells, corals, etc. I did find some items that had some calcite crystals though so it was interesting.

All of the 'normal' good fossil sites people know of are quite a ways from Miami, it really is a long way down there.

I have not found much in Miami beach area unfortunately not many fossils there. I did find some decent (recent)reef shark teeth and shells on the beach and dunes there from the dredgings. I was working in south beach last year for a few months when I found a killer hemi a tiger and a few bullshark teeth in a planter full of shells right in the city. Would love to know where the landscapers got that load of shells from.

Edited by dozer operator