A Favorite Mammal Fossil --- Broken

Shellseeker

I was out both Friday and Today --- every other day is as much as I can take in this cooler weather. Friday was a bear of a day with 15mph winds from the NW. Prospecting and looking for new locations on Friday netted very little, but today was different. I stumbled upon a promising site..

I was avidly pursuing some nice tigers, larger Hemis and even a few small Megs and just after thinking that with so many marine fossils, it was odd that I had not seen any mammal material. Just then I noted a small fossil fragment that was unfamiliar..

post-2220-0-45699700-1390792530_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-19393600-1390792547_thumb.jpg

Even though there was a pretty nice 2 inch Meg in the sieve, This one caught my attention because:

1) I did not know what fossil it came from,

2) It was clearly a fresh break and I was disappointed that I had indeed broken it..and

3) in the water this fragment had an orange band over a black band -- quite distinctive...

Fortunately, The rest of this fossil was in the next sieve, so I did not have that long to wonder "what is it?"

Take a moment to ID this small fragment... and I will use another post to show what was in the 2nd sieve..... SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I'll guess part of a tooth... some kind of elephant tooth part.

(15 mph winds? Right now it's blowing 40-50 and gusts over 60mph We call 15 mph winds calm here!)

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

So here is the 2nd post -- This tooth is actually from my very favorite mammal ----

I was amazed at the color and banding of the internal tooth... banding almost like a mastodon or like a tusk, even though we all know that the teeth of this mammal have no enamel..

post-2220-0-52736000-1390793302_thumb.jpg

The fragment is a perfect fit back into the tooth -- I will have to consider whether to repair or leave the 2 sections apart. SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"