Gainesville Creek Hunt

mrieder79

Shawnwashere and I hit Hogtown Creek in Gainesville for an afternoon of sifting. We got a couple hundred teeth between us. All small but it was a nice trip nonetheless. The weather was fantastic and the water was clear. It was especially exciting for me because it was my first real creek trip. Sifting a creek is a nice change from stumbling around dredge piles or trying to pick teeth out of shell spoil. Below are some of my better finds.

post-13111-0-97135400-1391300259_thumb.jpg

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

NIce teeth! When you are finding a mix of teeth like that you just never know when the next shovel will have a Meg. Keep digging!!

Great post. Great teeth. I saw a wall hanging today that would pertain to most of us on this forum.

I'd rather be found fossil hunting.....than found at home!

Nice pieces you've got there,I like that little Hemi :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Nice teeth. They look to be in better condition compared to stuff that comes out of the Peace river. Do you ever sift for micro's? Seems like a lot of folks are doing that now in some of the FL locations.

Daryl.

Nice pieces you've got there,I like that little Hemi :)

I found one juvenile hemi that was maybe 2-3mm. It had a deep red section of enamel close to the root. Very pretty little tooth.

Nice teeth. They look to be in better condition compared to stuff that comes out of the Peace river. Do you ever sift for micro's? Seems like a lot of folks are doing that now in some of the FL locations.

Daryl.

I didn't sift for micros but shawnwashere took home a bag of sifted material to go over at home. If I took sifted matrix home my cats would probably poop in it or my kids would eat it or something like that.

Those are beautiful finds:) What is that unusual tooth on the bottom left of the picture?

That is a bad angle on a lower hemi.

I didn't sift for micros but shawnwashere took home a bag of sifted material to go over at home. If I took sifted matrix home my cats would probably poop in it or my kids would eat it or something like that.

That's funny, I wouldn't have thought of that though. I have had my dogs get into my large storage bags of scrap fossils/bones and chew the heck out of them.

Daryl.

Love those teeth. Any day you are sifting and finding something is a good day.

Peace River teeth tend to be uniformly black/gray though the occasional "fresh" fossil (what a term!) that hasn't been out of the matrix too long will have some nice (non-black) coloration to it. Looks like quite a number of your prize teeth have got some nice color to them. Was this the same for the smaller teeth you found as well?

One of these days I'll bring my sifter north and check out the creeks up in Gainesville (after a stop to the Museum of Vertebrate Paleontology, of course).

Cheers.

-Ken

Yes. Almost all the teeth were light blue and cream enamel with a buff root. There were a few darker ones, but mostly light. Most of the teeth I find are the darker color as well and I really appreciated the change.