St. John's Dredge Teeth

mrieder79

Hit the dredge piles today and did some good. Finally managed to break my month-long slump for teeth over 1".

In the lower left, you can see a juvenile meg.

post-13111-0-28260900-1391478578_thumb.jpg

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

A small mammal tooth, small mako, and a nice tiger with a bummer of a dinged tip.

post-13111-0-19578300-1391478641_thumb.jpg

Here is a fragalodon with a really cool pattern on the enamel. Would have loved to see the whole tooth if it was dappled like this.... actually, I'd have liked to seen the whole tooth no matter what.

post-13111-0-50073300-1391478753_thumb.jpg

Thanks. When I spotted the great white, the right root was partially covered by a small rock. I whispered a prayer to the shark tooth gods as I removed it slowly and I couldn't believe it when it was intact! It made my day.

Congrats on the teeth. I've only 1 GW tooth in my collection but it is perfect and I found it shore diving on my birthday several years ago south of Venice, FL. It looks lonely mixed in among the other species of shark teeth I have in the bowl that it is currently resting in. Need to find another GW to keep it company. The insatiable addition of the unknown is what keeps me dragging my sifter back to the gravel beds.

Cheers.

-Ken

Can you sift these dredge spoil piles? I'd be real tempted to sift that material.

Daryl.

Do you mean screen them for micros or just sift them like gravel beds? I suppose you could do both, however most places the rocks are so big that sifting is impossible. What I really need is a backhoe to clear out all the old rocks and expose new formation for the river to separate for me.

Do you mean screen them for micros or just sift them like gravel beds? I suppose you could do both, however most places the rocks are so big that sifting is impossible. What I really need is a backhoe to clear out all the old rocks and expose new formation for the river to separate for me.

At first I was thinking of large scale sifting with something like a 2' x 2' box screen with 1/2" size mesh - just to look for bigger specimens. Then, take home some of the dirt that went through that screen for finer screening of micros. Of course, if there's a water source near the dredge pile(s), I would try to use that in the sifting process.

Daryl.

There are some dredge islands that have more sediment than rock and you could probably screen those with good results.