Calvert Shells

cowsharks

Back in Dec I came across a fresh slump pile that had collapsed from the cliffs. I sifted like crazy but found very few teeth. One thing that was readily apparent however was the large number of complete shells, and some had both halves (bivalves). There were a few that I hadn't seen before, so I took the rare opportunity to keep a few of the complete specimens. In the area of Calvert Cliffs were I collect, there isn't an abundance of the fancier type of shells; the fanciest to me is the Ecphora, and finding one even somewhat complete is rare. If anyone recognizes these specimens and has an ID for them that would be great. I know I've seen a resource somewhere that has pictures of shells found in the Miocene of Calvert Cliffs, but I haven't located it yet. I'm also including a pic of a really nice, and fairly rare, complete Sand Dollar from Calvert Cliffs that I traded for; it is only the second complete one I have ever seen in many years, so I grabbed the opportunity to acquire it.

Daryl.

post-2077-0-27526600-1391566443_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-34778500-1391566453_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-87466900-1391566463_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-95779700-1391566475_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-49170800-1391566488_thumb.jpg

post-2077-0-65338200-1391566506_thumb.jpg

Edited by cowsharks
  • I found this Informative 1

Thanks Kevin - that's it, the document I was thinking of.

Comparing the pics in that book to my specimens, I believe pic#2 of the shell with both bivalves and the ridges running laterally is Cytherea (Antigona) Staminea.

The other specimens are a bit more difficult to ID.

Daryl.

Daryl

It is nice when you find both complete halves of the shell together. Those I always take home but I don't usually find many complete ones like that. After collecting at Lee Creek I know what you mean by the fancier shells. Ours tend to be pretty plain looking in comparison. I have found a good number of sand dollar fragments from collecting along Calvert Cliffs but never a complete one.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Daryl

It is nice when you find both complete halves of the shell together. Those I always take home but I don't usually find many complete ones like that. After collecting at Lee Creek I know what you mean by the fancier shells. Ours tend to be pretty plain looking in comparison. I have found a good number of sand dollar fragments from collecting along Calvert Cliffs but never a complete one.

Marco Sr.

Exactly. Lee Creek spoiled me with all those big cork-screw like shells (gastropods?) like the Horse conch shells and such. Even the flat shells (pelecypods?) like the Chesepectins were even a bit more interesting than what I have seen so far from Calvert Cliffs. I think the lower end of the cliffs several miles south of where I normally collect product more shell beds with the more interesting or "fancier" and ornate shells as I call them.

I have never seen even pieces of sand dollars up near the north end of the cliffs where I collect, so I suspect something like sand dollars are found in the deposits south of that area. The specimen I posted a pic of was collected in the Choptank formation, which is south of where I normally collect.

Daryl.

Daryl

My sand dollar pieces probably came from the Choptank but could also have come from the St. Mary's as I found them in float at Matoaka Cottages and further south.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png