Calvert Cliffs Area

busyeagle

We made one of our rare ventures up to the whimsical shores of the Chesapeake Bay today. There has been an incredible amount of erosion due to the abundant freeze-thaw this winter, but it will likely take some time for the resulting piles of sediment to be washed around enough to start producing.

Didn't find anything spectacular, but there was some decent variety (a thresher and hammerhead for example) to spice things up.

post-12673-0-93243000-1391738304_thumb.jpg

This mako has some root wear, but is a decent size for the bay.

post-12673-0-65140700-1391737079_thumb.jpg

This appears to be a fish bone, but that's as far as my knowledge extends.

post-12673-0-47662700-1391737078_thumb.jpg

Happy hunting!

Edited by busyeagle

Nice haul I'd say. That mako has a nice color to it and I see some nice Hemi's too.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Nice assortment you got yourself there :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Calvert cliffs is off the hook! Ahhh to think about when I lived so close to the cliffs, in Prince George County MD. It was before I caught the fossil fever here in florida.......

Awesome finds, nice mako btw.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Kyle, that last "fishy" specimen looks a bit modern to me. Most of the real blackish colored stuff I find there is usually modern. Either way, it does look like it belongs to a fish. Nice assortment on the rest of the finds. The recent rains wreak havoc on the cliffs and caused a lot more of the upper non-fossil bearing sections to come down. Gotta be so careful down there this time of year.

Daryl.

Thanks!

Marco - Yes, it was gratifyingly ice free.

Daryl - You may well be right about that fish bone being modern. It does seem unlikely that such a fragile bone would survive on that beach as a fossil. I'll give it a closer look later. So true about needing to be cautious near the cliffs this time of year, especially once we start getting some warmer weather.