Stevensville Quarry, Ontario With Malcolm (August 2013)

gdarone

It's embarassing, but I'm just now posting some pictures of the eurypterid fossils I came home with from my trip to the Stevensville Quarry in Ontario last August.

It was an amazing day, and my first "splitting rocks" type of fossil outing. Althought I think I hit my hand with the hammer more than I hit my chisiel, I had such fun!

Many thanks to Malcolm who showed me what to do, and where to be, and provided some great company in the hot August sun.

Is there any way to tell the precise species of eurypterid these pieces came from?

post-12990-0-03132800-1391861561_thumb.jpg

post-12990-0-72575900-1391861562_thumb.jpg

post-12990-0-12121400-1391861564_thumb.jpg

post-12990-0-74922700-1391861565_thumb.jpg

post-12990-0-10662600-1391861570_thumb.jpg

A more complete eurypterid piece that Malcolm gave me. I did my best to reconstruct its original shape with some clay.

post-12990-0-58372400-1391861571_thumb.jpg

Malcolm told me that these 2 were fossils of a sort of plant, but I did not have the presense of mind to write the name down while we were out in the quarry (I was certain I would remember the names in my memory! nope)

post-12990-0-32911000-1391861567_thumb.jpg

post-12990-0-63478200-1391861568_thumb.jpg

I can't wait to go back to Stevensville, maybe this spring!

It was an amazing day, and my first "splitting rocks" type of fossil outing. Althought I think I hit my hand with the hammer more than I hit my chisiel, I had such fun!

After a few days like that, you'll decide that a chisel with a plastic hand guard is a good investment. ;)

After a few days like that, you'll decide that a chisel with a plastic hand guard is a good investment. ;)

I carry two hammers, a big one with a broad head and a normal geological one, with the big one I can't miss the chisel, no bruised or broken fingers. (Although if I did miss I'd crush my whole hand :wacko: )

I also had the opportunity in October 2012 to spend a day there with Malcolm, enjoyed it very much and managed to escape relatively unscathed (I have a rubber hand guard on my chisel :) ). As far as I know, just about all of the Eurypterid finds belong to the species lacustris. Your plant bits could be from Cooksonia.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks for the rubber hand guard suggestions. I had one of those on my chisel and still managed to hit my hand a number of times. Very clumsy.

Thanks for the species help!

Any time you can spend with Malcolm can be a learning experience every June the Dry Dredgers do a field trip to Penn-Dixie with a Friday trip to Ridgemont Quarry in Ontario. I have had the pleasure of meeting Malcolm and having him mentor me on how to prospect for Euripides. I am looking forward to this June.

Thanks for the rubber hand guard suggestions. I had one of those on my chisel and still managed to hit my hand a number of times. Very clumsy.

Thanks for the species help!

Do not fret, My left hand is likely to be a jumble of micro fractures from the number of times I've hit it despite the plastic guard on my chisel. Malcolm is an awesome dude and very helpful. Looking forward to getting back up to Ridgemont to prospect some more for Eurypterids.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The top one of the two plants is likely just an algal blob, the second one is a cooksonia but not the best for display.

The section of the quarry you found the tergites in is pretty much guaranteed to be from Lacustrus

Can hardly wait to get back out in the field this snow is killing me.........

• I found this Informative 1