Calvert Cliffs?

RJB

Hi all. My wife and I are planning a trip to the east coast, starting in Maine and working our way down to Virginia. Ive always been interested in hunting calvert cliffs area but with the little bit of research ive done, it looks like most places cost money and have very small teeth specimens. Is it possible to rent a boat somewhere and get to some cliff areas that may have bigger and better fossils?

RB

Sounds like a really nice trip!

I can't comment on where to rent a boat, hopefully others can add in on that. One thing to consider: while collecting at the more remote areas of the bay can (depending on the time of year) give you a better chance at some nice fossils, the cost of renting a boat may not be worth it in the end. A lot of locations on the bay are very dependent on the conditions (how much sand is there, current tides, recent erosion etc) and one worry I always had is if I rent a boat and then find nothing anyway (or hit one of many sandbars around...I saw a guy do that somewhat recently). Alternatively, you could try kayaking (watch the weather obviously) or first give some of the public spots a try and then see.

A lot of people rag on the parks and public locations (and they do get collected hard), but some of my best finds have been at the most crowded beaches. The truth is most of the bay gets hit pretty hard these days anyway, no matter where you go.

Also, if you are in the area you might want to try the Potomac river (MD side has free access parks) after going to the Cliffs. Some potentially good stuff there as well and a nice change of pace.

I'd be glad to show you around if you were interested (I'm sure others will offer too). At the very least, if you email me shortly before your trip I may be able to give you a heads up on the current collecting conditions.

Hope this helps and don't let me dissuade you from renting a boat, I just wanted to throw out some other viable options in case you don't enjoy boating.

-Greg

Edited by Fallingfossils

Hey Ron, no need to rent a boat. Just let me know when you will be in Maryland and we can go out in my boat. There are never any sure things when it comes to the cliffs but we will get to some of the areas not hunted quite as hard. As Greg said the Potomac can be a nice change of pace to collect at as well. Let me know what you had in mind and I'll see what I can do for you.

Hey Ron, no need to rent a boat. Just let me know when you will be in Maryland and we can go out in my boat. There are never any sure things when it comes to the cliffs but we will get to some of the areas not hunted quite as hard. As Greg said the Potomac can be a nice change of pace to collect at as well. Let me know what you had in mind and I'll see what I can do for you.

Do this!!!! No one I know (other than maybe Daryl) has a better understanding of how/when/where to find fossils along the cliffs. Greg was also spot on in everything he advised as well especially his comment about "everywhere on the cliffs gets hit pretty hard". The truth is if you rent a boat and go alone/cold and try to start hitting random locations I highly doubt you will find much in the way of great large fossils. It takes dozens of trips to train your eyes what to look for and when and where to look. Besides that the local crews at the various spots will likely beat you to the punch on most days. If you can cut the learning curve by hooking up with an experienced hunter then do it. Otherwise you would probably do just as well on your first trip to hit a more public spot like Brownies, Flag Ponds, or Matoaka (or all 3). You can definitely find good stuff at those spots (megs, cetacean, mammal fossils, etc..) if you time it right. Mid week always helps. If you can time your trip to come in late March or April it should be good. Lots of new material this winter that is still sorting itself out in the waves. Good luck.

Kevin/Obsessed 1 is an excellent guide and he will get you to the best spots there are at the time! Highly recommend him. Thanks again Kevin! Hopefully we can meet up again some time soon.

Thanks MMC. Ive already called Kevin and had a chat. Seems like a mighty fine dude!!! Will be meeting up with him soon! Cant wait!!!

RB