Rattlesnake Creek, Gainesville Fl, Alachua County

mikecable

Hawthorne Group/Coosawatchie Fm

Miocene

My first field trip to Rattlesnake Creek. As a Texan I love the location name. I received about ten pounds of this matrix from Sacha today. I immediately decided to take a field trip.

First the gear.

post-7463-0-50935500-1391901765_thumb.jpg

Optivisor 7 with the addition of a 2.5 X swing-out lens. This is near and dear to me. It belonged to my Dad. I added the swing-out lens. This is my go to optic for searching micros at home. I would use it in the field as well, but I shave my head. So I wear a hat. As much as I would like to use this in the field, I need my hat more.

Photos taken with a Samsung Rugby Pro phone, stock Jellybean photo app.

post-7463-0-23369000-1391902311_thumb.jpgpost-7463-0-97563800-1391902311_thumb.jpg

Four ounces of matrix. I have 30 plus field trips to go.

Hawthorne Group/Coosawatchie Fm

Miocene

My first field trip to Rattlesnake Creek. As a Texan I love the location name. I received about ten pounds of this matrix from Sacha today. I immediately decided to take a field trip.

First the gear.

attachicon.gifrattle1.jpg

Optivisor 7 with the addition of a 2.5 X swing-out lens. This is near and dear to me. It belonged to my Dad. I added the swing-out lens. This is my go to optic for searching micros at home. I would use it in the field as well, but I shave my head. So I wear a hat. As much as I would like to use this in the field, I need my hat more.

Photos taken with a Samsung Rugby Pro phone, stock Jellybean photo app.

attachicon.gifrattle3.jpgattachicon.gifrattle2.jpg

Four ounces of matrix. I have 30 plus field trips to go.

Oh my! I knew I should have gotten some of that from John!!! Great finds. That long bone is really nice. Is it a bird bone can you tell?

Keep posting pics please. Love to see this stuff.

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

...That long bone is really nice. Is it a bird bone can you tell?

Not to my eye.

post-423-0-66145500-1391909365_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

My first thought was some sort of recent insect. Second thought was bird bone. I trust Auspex though. I'll pull it back out and try to get a better pic.

Love your set up Mike. Nothing beats tools from from the pop.

I'm still hand held with the extra lens but you've got me thinking :blink:

post-4721-0-62524900-1391913445_thumb.jpg

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Nice colors on that material Mike,is that a partial cow shark tooth I see as well.They're really rare around these parts1

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

That's quick turnaround Mike! Did you have the postman hold the box while you went through it?

Glad it started out so productively.