Montana 2014

John K

I was in our library last night, quietly working on something now forgotten, when I heard someone arrive at our back-door (which, like a lot of old country houses, serves as our front door.) Excited voices soon followed, and my wife's beconing was followed by a heavy tromping through the house and a hearty laugh. Who else but our good old friend The Troll had stopped by from business in Wisconsin, on his way home to Montana!

The last time I had seen The Troll was in July last summer, on a hill top out in Eastern Montana:

1002542_4806093083932_1023685890_n.jpg

where I just happened to drop this pterosaur endocast into my pocket, quite by chance:

gallery_1995_1754_46701.jpg

A dull, cold winter's evening was quickly turned into a terrific night of getting caught up and planning for a trip to Montana this coming summer.

Over mugs of Spotted Cow and cheeseburgers at the local watering hole, we discussed our options, which turned out to be quite a few. The kids had such a good time last summer:

999156_4792571945912_1706936471_n.jpg

that they were excited to help with the planning. I think we've settled on a ranch where our friend has found ammonites, along with mosasaur, ichtyosaur and plesiosaur material, including this spinal column that he donated to the University of Wisconsin River Falls:

PleisVert.jpg

Or, in my son's words, the place with a lot of 'saurs.

it's going to be a long spring until summer arrives....

Country back doors; portals to good times :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's really cool! Looking forward to seeing your reports, posts and pics from the place of 'saurs.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif