Cibolo Creek, Braken Texas

cdstrngr

• New Members

The holes have dried up due to the dry winter months and I stumbled across many of the large fossils exposed in the bedrock of the limestone creek. I stumbled across quite a few of what I believe to be Ammonites without combing or turning up any rocks /dirt. This area seems to be riddled with these suckers and the largest one I saw was about 6 inches in diameter. I plan on going back and spending a good day searching for arrowheads and other interesting fossils. I was wondering if anyone else has stumbled across this?

post-14433-0-81834300-1392089868_thumb.jpg

Edited by cdstrngr

You're in a fossiliferous area, to be sure!

Welcome to the Forum :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i hunted that area hard ten years ago and did ok at the time. the austin chalk there is very hard, though, so newly exposed specimens are slow in coming. productivity has certainly slowed down, despite occasional huge floods with standing waves almost up to the bridge. the oyster reefs are impressive, if you are into oysters. best chance of a nearly complete cephalopod would be one of the large nautiloids, but prepare yourself for 2-4 hours of constant work with a 4 lb hand sledge to get one out whole.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• New Members

So all of this area was part of the gulf back in Jurassic and Cretaceous? Was that area near the beach back then or was it more of a sandbar?

offshore marine, upper cretaceous

Grüße,

Unless the photo is playing tricks on me, that appears to be the impression left from where an ammonite was dislodged or already collected (maybe Dan got that one already). Keep looking. Good luck.

So all of this area was part of the gulf back in Jurassic and Cretaceous? Was that area near the beach back then or was it more of a sandbar?

No, it was a shallow epicontinental seaway. The Austin Chalk is just that, a "chalk" made up of calcium carbonate precipitated out of warm saltwater. Beaches would have been not too far off to the west but we don't see much sand or other clastics in the formations that make up the group. But there were small volcanoes of which we have a bunch within the Austin Group throughout central Texas. Some of those have beach deposits around their perimeters.

Unless the photo is playing tricks on me, that appears to be the impression left from where an ammonite was dislodged or already collected (maybe Dan got that one already). Keep looking. Good luck.

Ha! That was exactly what I was thinking: Dan probably got that one first!

Edited by erose

No, it was a shallow epicontinental seaway. The Austin Chalk is just that, a "chalk" made up of calcium carbonate precipitated out of warm saltwater. Beaches would have been not too far off to the west but we don't see much sand or other clastics in the formations that make up the group. But there were small volcanoes of which we have a bunch within the Austin Group throughout central Texas. Some of those have beach deposits around their perimeters.

Ha! That was exactly what I was thinking: Dan probably got that one first!

I can neither confirm, nor deny these allegations......MUA HA HA!

Grüße,