Looking For A Trilobite Location On Ontario

RoTaN

• New Members

Hello,

My first post :)

I'm looking for a location to hunt Trilobites (my favorite fossil since I was a kid) with my son. We attempted an unsuccessful trip a few years ago near Winsor and was wondering if there's any locations near Mississauga? I want to plan possibly a weekend for him and I to hunt/collect together. I read Craigleith Park is a great place but you can't take any specimens, I'm looking for us to take some home.

Also can you recommend any equipment for us to use? I used to collect brachiopods and crinoids from PA when I lived in the US (got first place in my science fair as a kid on the fossils I found lol) - but those you could easily pull out of the lose stone.

Thanks for any help!!

I assume that you are the Dan that contact me directly. I responded with some spots. I am sure that some of those will be repeated here. Northern Shark is the Kevin I mentioned in my email.

Forgot to mention that Windsor in NOT a good collecting area. Nothing there.

crinus

RoTaN... If you go to Fossil Hunting Trips and follow through Trilobites: Millard County, Utah...

Find the references given by Kim and myself using Charles Walcott - Cambrian Geology and Paleontology. A University Library may have this in their stacks... as it is a technical Cambrian study. It will take some time to navigate the various locations, but you could find some that fit into your driving range.

No Ordovician or later periods, so if Ontario lacks Cambrian... then this will not help. Maybe try Pennsylvania or Wisconsin and make it a camping trip!

Malcolm beat me to it, no young'uns in active quarries. Without getting specific sites named, Arkona west of London is no secret, and neither is Penn-Dixie just over the border in NY. A PM closer to hunting season might be something for you to keep in mind.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

With some effort, trilobites can be found in the Georgian Bay Formation underlying Mississauga. Try the Credit River or any other exposures of the bedrock you can find and you might just get lucky!