Miocene Sea Turtle Costal

busyeagle

I've had a good run of luck finding turtle bones my past few trips out, and this one is by far the best of the lot. I had never found any identifiable Procolpochelys material before, so I was surprised at the size and thickness of this specimen. This is out of the early Miocene, and was found on 1-17-14.

The prep work was more tedious than I anticipated, as there was a rather resilient layer of matrix on top of the bone. Here is one piece mid-prep that happened to have a loose shark tooth stuck to it:

post-12673-0-92650300-1392236623_thumb.jpg

After much hand-cramp-inducing scraping, here are the pieces ready to be assembled:

post-12673-0-61045200-1392236586_thumb.jpg

It was somewhat difficult to glue because of the curvature of the bone, but it fit back together fairly nicely - here is the result:

post-12673-0-98050500-1392236587_thumb.jpgpost-12673-0-45534900-1392236589_thumb.jpgpost-12673-0-85691500-1392236590_thumb.jpg

Happy hunting!

Edited by busyeagle

An arduous task, which paid off handsomely!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks! Does anyone else have any Procolpochelys to share? I'd love to see what some of the other bones look like.

Except for the tooth I probably would have overlooked that one. Fossil collecting is really about seeing AND hard work you described removing that wonderful speciman from the matrix. Congratulations on an excellent find and prep.

Hey Kyle, its nice to see a monster turtle like your find. Congrats! My finds are a different land/pond? Florida fossil species and are much much smaller. Probably Plio/Pleistocene.

post-1240-0-56456600-1392582419_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-18679400-1392582430_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-14435100-1392582425_thumb.jpg

Nice job assembling yours! Hoping others have finds to show. Regards, Chris

Hey Kyle, its nice to see a monster turtle like your find. Congrats! My finds are a different land/pond? Florida fossil species and are much much smaller. Probably Plio/Pleistocene.

Nice job assembling yours! Hoping others have finds to show. Regards, Chris

Thanks Chris - and neat bone. Is that a plastron piece?

Chris's find is another costal, this one a tortoise. Now, is it Hesperotestudo or is it Gopherus?

Gopherus has thin carapace bones, Hesperotestudo does not.

The costals in Hesperotestudo have parallel sides; in Gopherus one end of the costal is much wider than the other end, and they alternate.

So Chris's bone is a costal of Gopherus.

• I found this Informative 2

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Thanks Chris - and neat bone. Is that a plastron piece?

Rich just provided the answer and more!

Chris's find is another costal, this one a tortoise. Now, is it Hesperotestudo or is it Gopherus?

Gopherus has thin carapace bones, Hesperotestudo does not.

The costals in Hesperotestudo have parallel sides; in Gopherus one end of the costal is much wider than the other end, and they alternate.

So Chris's bone is a costal of Gopherus.

Thanks Rich!

Regards, Chris