Ancient Dna Suggests Tie To Native Americans

Auspex

NEW YORK (AP) -- The DNA of a baby boy who was buried in Montana 12,600 years ago has been recovered...

LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It would be really interesting to see where/how the difference came about between the South and Central Americans vs. Canadian Native Americans.

I must admit, though, this paragraph seems kind of un-scientific.

"The researchers said they had no Native American DNA from the United States available for comparison, but that they assume the results would be same, with some Native Americans being direct descendants and others also closely related."

Edited by Bullsnake

Steve

...I must admit, though, this paragraph seems kind of un-scientific.

"The researchers said they had no Native American DNA from the United States available for comparison, but that they assume the results would be same, with some Native Americans being direct descendants and others also closely related."

Yes, that is a very bothersome declaration...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

When they re-bury this priceless human fossil, are they going to just dump it in the ground?

I felt that it would be wrong to rebury the remains if they are important. They do not belong to any said tribe and it wouldn’t be a violation of any treaty that I’m aware of (like we are in the practice of honoring treaties). I know we live in a politically correct gone mad world but where do you draw the line? What about the remains of ancient people in museum and university collections around the world? Do we rebury them all?

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

I felt that it would be wrong to rebury the remains if they are important. They do not belong to any said tribe and it wouldn’t be a violation of any treaty that I’m aware of (like we are in the practice of honoring treaties). I know we live in a politically correct gone mad world but where do you draw the line? What about the remains of ancient people in museum and university collections around the world? Do we rebury them all?

mikey

Ethically, draw your answer from within. To what level of respect would you have your child's remains subjected? Consensus will be elusive...but this child's parents cared a great deal.

I hear you but it's my opinion that science takes presidence In this case. Besides King Tuts parents and people loved him to.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

This is a touchy subject, I know. Native Americans have had so much taken from them, and they deserve respect and autonomy over their ancestral remains. This child comes from a time so far back that defining which tribe gets to decide is problematic though. I just hope that those who are getting to decide think about their descendants 100 or 1000 years into the future. What other great secrets lost to time might our descendents be able to glean from him if preserved correctly. It is all of our history when you talk about 12,000 years ago. Native Americans descended from Asian ancestors that descended from African ancestors. Should we rebury Lucy too? (should I have gone back to Pikia?) I mean there has to be some sort of limit? This child's parents took the time to bury him with objects he might need in the afterlife it seems. Now this child has acheived a sort of imortality and we are going to take it away? I would hope that we could preserve and protect without disrespecting. Just my $.02.

Ethically, draw your answer from within. To what level of respect would you have your child's remains subjected? Consensus will be elusive...but this child's parents cared a great deal.

The child's parents have been dead for over 12,000 years.

I seriously doubt they care.

I think reburying such a unique scientific find in deference to superstitious beliefs is simply ignorant.

...I think reburying such a unique scientific find in deference to superstitious beliefs is simply ignorant.

From a scientific stand point, perhaps, but science does not address questions of ethical (nor aesthetic) nature.

From a purely pragmatic perspective, science's status in society may be better served by acknowledging the 'other domains' of the human condition. Is the gathering of data points mutually exclusive of reverence and respect? I maintain that it is not.

I have to agree, the human remains need treated differently regardless of age, though this is based on a personal bias, and nothing scientific. Something more respectful should be done with all human remains, after study has been done if found to be acceptable to parties involved

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus