Following Mary Anning

Carl

Spent a few days last week on the beaches at Lyme Regis and Charmouth. Plenty of ammonites (most of them pyrite, one of which I left on Mary Anning's grave), crinoids, oysters, belemnites, one ichthyosaur paddle bone, and the absolute treasure: a complete, matrix-free Acrodus anningiae tooth. Our guide down there, Paddy Howe, who has collected those beaches daily for decades, said he'd seen only one other. It's going right into the AMNH collections. If you ever do make you way down there, make sure to hook up with Paddy: he's a superb collector, preparator, insanely knowledgable about local fossils, and enjoys a pint!

post-186-0-55480000-1392249286_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-83269400-1392249300_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-20107800-1392249315_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-18207500-1392249332_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-00409400-1392249345_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carl

Great stuff!!

That tooth is awesome. Nice job finding an Ichthy paddle bone too, they are less common than the verts,

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Well done Carl,

I too had the pleasure to go on a guided walk with Paddy...we hit the ground running on the walk and within minutes picked up a couple of ichthyosaur verts.

Regards,

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

@DarrenElliot

WOW! Which area was that, Charmouth, Seatown or Lyme?

Took me 14 hours of looking before I found my first verts.

Edited by Paleoworld-101

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Thanks for the great report and pics, Carl.

Glad you were able to find some cool things, and pay your respects to Mary as well.

Felt for a second like I was actually walking the windy beach with you.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@DarrenElliot

WOW! Which area was that, Charmouth, Seatown or Lyme?

Took me 14 hours of looking before I found my first verts.

The ammonite impression was a bit west of Charmouth, the view was east of Lyme looking towards Charmouth, the ammonite in the sand was east of Charmouth, and I found the tooth also east of Charmouth (at Stonebarrow).

Really nice. That tooth is very cool. Is it a relative of Ptychodus?

Don't yet know these Jurassic guys as well as the Cretaceous ones, but I think the acrodonts are close to the hybodonts.

Great pictures! Really nice Acrodus! It is really tough for me to donate shark specimens like that. Invertebrates, bird, mammal, reptile etc. no problem for me with donation but not so for shark or ray specimens.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Carl, I have never had a big urge to collect in other countries but Lyme Regis would be special. When our daughter Emelia needed to write about an important woman in science I told her all about Mary Anning. It would be so cool to walk those shores with her some day picking up sea shells by the sea shore.

Nice report, Carl. I am bringing a group there in May. I have contacted Paddy, but have no response. I guess it is time to re-email him.

Eric, you would absolutely love it. The history is untouchable, the people are great, the scenery is gorgeous, the town is quaint, and the fossils are gorgeous and plentiful.

Carl, I have never had a big urge to collect in other countries but Lyme Regis would be special. When our daughter Emelia needed to write about an important woman in science I told her all about Mary Anning. It would be so cool to walk those shores with her some day picking up sea shells by the sea shore.

I hate to say it but you will likely never hear from Paddy. I recommend catching him, when you are there, at The Fossil Workshop where he works.

Nice report, Carl. I am bringing a group there in May. I have contacted Paddy, but have no response. I guess it is time to re-email him.

Calmly hysterical would describe it better. And when I found out several days later that it was one of the very few taxa named after Anning, I pretty much lost it.

That tooth is a rare piece - you must have been very pleased to have found it. Congratulations!

Regards,

I hate to say it but you will likely never hear from Paddy. I recommend catching him, when you are there, at The Fossil Workshop where he works.

Thanks for the tip.

Carl,

Any coprolites this trip?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Carl,

Any coprolites this trip?

Sadly, no... Had my eyes peeled the entire time. I bought a whole bunch of great one from Paddy for the AMNH collections but I don't yet seem to have the eye...