Hell Creek Crocodiles - Borealosuchus Only?

-Andy-

Hi, I would like to check something about Hell Creek crocodiles.

I recently acquired several teeth which were simply labelled as "Hell Creek Crocodiles" from Montana.

As I've come to understand, croc fossils which come from that region are often identified as 'Borealosuchus sternbergi' (previously Leidyosuchus)

My question is, is Borealosuchus truly the only known species of crocodile from that region?

Could anyone knowledgeable with Hell Creek fossils shed some light?

Thank you.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Borealosuchus

Stangerochampsa

Brachychampsa montana

Borealosuchus and Brachychampsa occur together in the Upper Hell Creek; I'm not sure if Stangerosuchus occurs with them, or only in the Lower Hell Creek.

Edited by RichW9090
  • I found this Informative 1

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Borealosuchus

Stangerochampsa

Brachychampsa montana

Borealosuchus and Brachychampsa occur together in the Upper Hell Creek; I'm not sure if Stangerosuchus occurs with them, or only in the Lower Hell Creek.

Thank you.

The teeth I have are pointed, similar to modern day nile crocs.

So they could only be Borealosuchus then.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

They could be Stangerochampsa, as the anterior teeth are pointed, while the posterior teeth are blunt. See the skeleton here:

Vhttp://www.trieboldpaleontology.com/stangerochampsa-mccabei/

Or, they could be a previously unreported species.

Edited by RichW9090
  • I found this Informative 1

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".