The Beginnings Of A Sharktooth Collection....

emmytee

i just remembered about this today... and started my search for the bowl. i acquired a large fishbowl full of shark teeth that my grandmother gave to me probably 7 years ago. she used to have a house in florida and i guess she went to the beach alot to collect these teeth. i found the bowl and i have just started to sort through the pile and i already have a few nice ones in good condition. not very big, but some are still serrated. here's a few pics

the first one is of the huge bowl i still need to sort through!

the second one is the pile of broken or worn ones...

the third one is of the good ones i've picked out... some are in nice condition, and some are worn with just cool colors.

and the little brown circle in each picture is a penny.

sorry the pictures are fuzzy, im using my webcam... ill get my hands on a better camera soon

post-1160-1231550964_thumb.jpg

post-1160-1231550972_thumb.jpg

post-1160-1231550982_thumb.jpg

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

i just remembered about this today... and started my search for the bowl. i acquired a large fishbowl full of shark teeth that my grandmother gave to me probably 7 years ago. she used to have a house in florida and i guess she went to the beach alot to collect these teeth. i found the bowl and i have just started to sort through the pile and i already have a few nice ones in good condition. not very big, but some are still serrated. here's a few pics

the first one is of the huge bowl i still need to sort through!

the second one is the pile of broken or worn ones...

the third one is of the good ones i've picked out... some are in nice condition, and some are worn with just cool colors.

and the little brown circle in each picture is a penny.

sorry the pictures are fuzzy, im using my webcam... ill get my hands on a better camera soon

Very cool!!! What a great way to start a collection.

i got my hands on a better camera!

here's the good/interesting ones

3185423728_4586c74585.jpg

broken or worn out ones

3185423434_786f40724a.jpg

i still have to sort through all this!

not complete, but i like the serrations :)

3185427240_ac13fdf8cc.jpg

i've found a few more similar to these after i took the picture

3185427450_f815083a5b.jpg

the color is a tad off on this one, its supposed to be a nice deep blue

3185428056_c868da9e87.jpg

i picked out my teeniest ones... i just think they're adorable!

3184584851_4caeba1c33.jpg

this one is really shiny hahahhaa

3184585265_80b6b1cc2a.jpg

i just love the way this one was chipped at!

3185429082_b153302620.jpg

i still have to go through all of these! im running out of table :(

3184585869_b28e5ed513.jpg

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

That is a lot of teeth, and just like, all you have let is to sort and catalog them...

Fossil, it's like a rock, but better.

That is a lot of teeth, and just like, all you have let is to sort and catalog them...

yeah about that.... any suggestions for how to organize them and what to put them in?

yeah about that.... any suggestions for how to organize them and what to put them in?

Google "Riker Mount" It's a black framed box with a white foamish liner. They can be wall mounted as the lid is held on with pins and they come in several sizes.

http://www.buriedtreasurefossils.com/Displ...ial_catalog.htm

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest bmorefossil

i would find some buckets or something for the common teeth, when you get some large teeth its nice to use riker mounts

BTW, in order under the ziploc bag, you have a Hemipristis serra (Snaggletooth shark), a pair of Galeocerdo cuvier (Tiger shark), I believe a small Isurus hastalis (Mako shark), a group of Carcharhinus species (most, if not all are lower jaw teeth), another Hemipristis and finally another Galeocerdo cuvier.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest bmorefossil
BTW, in order under the ziploc bag, you have a Hemipristis serra (Snaggletooth shark), a pair of Galeocerdo cuvier (Tiger shark), I believe a small Isurus hastalis (Mako shark), a group of Carcharhinus species (most, if not all are lower jaw teeth), another Hemipristis and finally another Galeocerdo cuvier.

where are you looking and seeing teeth under a ziploc bag

thanks all for the advice/id's.

• 2 weeks later...

i did it! i finally sorted through all of my shark teeth! here's the results

broken/worn

3216059685_e66259f05e.jpg

keepers

3216929850_57e0d78a1b.jpg

see i knew you could do it

but there's still the task of sorting them by genus/species

Those are really nice. Good luck on your collection.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

where are you looking and seeing teeth under a ziploc bag

In the pictures between the bag and the glass fish.

bmorefossil Posted Today, 03:44 AM

"then what did you just do lol"

Only sorted keepers from not.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

By the way Emmytee. , you have some very nice shark teeth there.

thanks Bill! and you're right, i only sorted out the keepers. I don't have the time or knowledge right now to sort them more specifically

Hi Emmytee!! :)

That's a lovely collection you've got there! Are they all from local locations....? If so, I think that makes us even now coz you succeeded in making me pretty dang jealous too!! ;)

Well done!! Great finds...

Kind regards

Gethin :)

"We try not to use the word insane, we prefer the term mentally hilarious... "

Hi Emmytee!! :)

That's a lovely collection you've got there! Are they all from local locations....? If so, I think that makes us even now coz you succeeded in making me pretty dang jealous too!! ;)

Well done!! Great finds...

Kind regards

Gethin :)

i don't think we're even quite yet. my grandmother found all of these in florida. all i did was look in the basement and find the bowl sitting there. i have yet to experience the excitement of finding my own fossil.

nice collection :P

Just another fossil hunter from Cincinnati, Ohio. I'm a member of the Dry Dredgers. My real name is Adam if anyone's curious :)

That is a shame, Emmytee!! :o

I hope you've got your first trip planned already. Is there not much to collect then, where you live...?

Gethin

"We try not to use the word insane, we prefer the term mentally hilarious... "