Bambiraptor Skeleton Project

LordTrilobite

Marvelous job!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

I'd like to preface by thanking you for these posts. I think your reconstructions are spectacular. After seeing your work I'd love to attempt a dinosaur. Would you mind telling me where you get those amazing reference drawings? I saw from your photo-documentation that you do plenty of drawings yourself as well for each piece. What are your own sketches for, is that just to help with mounting the bones?

Thank you.

And actually, for the Bambiraptor I didn't make any drawings myself. For refference I mostly used the fantastic pictures from the book Feathered Dragons and the equally fantastic skeletal picture made by Scott Hartman. I printed all those out a life scale. This provided the base of the refference. Then I had a lot more pictures from all over the internet of Bambiraptor mounts.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

• 5 months later...

It's truly amazing how art and science work in concert with one another. Bravo on a job well done!

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

• 8 months later...

That´s really great,I jut found the time to read through the thread.

Hi, thanks again for the tipp to use this form, looking at your great result I have to try it.

Can you tell me what kind of colour you used for the coating?

It looks as if you could do adjustments after painting it?

And how messy is the foam in terms of sawdust?

Thanks for inspiration!

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

For the colour I just used waterbased brown paint. Be careful with this foam when painting and/or glueing though. Some types actually disolve the foam. So it's best to test first.

The foam isn't that bad in terms of mess actually. When cutting with a sharp knife it creates almost no dust, just the waste that you cut off. So I did all of the cutting with a knife inside without any other extra ventilation. It simply isn't needed. For actual sawing I did go outside of course as it does create dust similar to sawdust. But since the material is so soft, sawing is only really needed for the really huge pieces. The rest can be done with a sharp kitchen or hobby knife. It does need to be seriously sharp to get good results though.

Edited by LordTrilobite
  • I found this Informative 1

Quite an amazing piece, you should be congratulated for the artistry required to put it together. Definitely one of a kind and the detail of the vertebrae and skull is amazing. Job well done. Thanks for sharing

To start with you'll need foam to carve. The site I get it from doesn't ship to the US I think.

http://www.opitec.com/

But if you find something similar. basically all else you need is a few sharp knives and a lot of reference for a fun project.