Awesome Cetacean Tooth

hokiehunter

Got out for my first time in about 6 weeks today. Man did I have the itch to go. I've been super busy with life with no time for fossils lately so watching all of this great weather run thru the region from the sidelines has been torture. In the areas I collect every freeze thaw brings down new material and this winter has been pretty much the best in years for that. Anyways, I finally got a little break from my chores and decided a reward was in order and took a few hours this am to walk the beach.

Things started off pretty slow with small teeth that were all frozen in the sand making them doubly hard to find/pickup. The positive side of the cold though is I was the only one out today. I was just happy to be fossil hunting though and wouldn't have complained if all I found was the small stuff. As luck would have it though I stumbled on a HUGE (for my area) cetacean tooth. Pretty sure it is a long-beaked dolphin. It was found frozen to a fresh slide area and is only my 4th dolphin tooth over 2 inches and my second biggest ever so I was really pleased. As a bonus couple of feet away I snagged a little chub/juvenile meg.

A great morning and way to recharge the batteries until next time...

Good hunting to all. This spring season and the time to ditch the waders is getting closer. :)

post-2363-0-21987600-1393624406_thumb.jpg

post-2363-0-91934600-1393624414_thumb.jpg

post-2363-0-91623900-1393624426_thumb.jpg

post-2363-0-74004300-1393624437_thumb.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Sweet finds. Nice little gem of a meg/chub you have there. Awesome Cetacean tooth as well! Would love to give the cliffs another try.

Jason, I just love the Dolphin tooth. Congrats on adding such a nice piece to your collection. I also look forward to ditching the waders; seems like I have managed to get a pinhole leak in every pair I own.

Daryl.

Jason, I just love the Dolphin tooth. Congrats on adding such a nice piece to your collection. I also look forward to ditching the waders; seems like I have managed to get a pinhole leak in every pair I own.

Daryl.

Ditto that... I have 3 pairs of neoprene bootfoot waders and all three are slow leakers. They seem to slowly lose the waterproofing after about 10 or 15 uses. At this point if I stay in the water more than 30 minutes my socks are soaked. It is bearable but just barely. Looks like one more week of misery and then things should warm up again. Can't wait.

Awesome cetacean tooth part two... I got out again this am for a few more hours. It was a tough day until I scored an awesome sperm whale tooth. It took me a while to figure out what I had (thanks to the forums ID section) because I've never found anything like this before. Woo hoo. My first complete sperm whale tooth. :D

post-2363-0-24079100-1393716881_thumb.jpg

Nice finds! It's always a good day when you are lucky enough to find cetacean teeth and you found some real nice ones

That is a pretty danged big dolphin tooth. If this is middle or late Miocene, then this is probably from a large kentriodontid - something like Hadrodelphis or Macrokentriodon.

Hi Boesse, yep... mid to late Miocene. Same location as the sperm whale tooth. It is either my biggest or second biggest out of a hundred or so dolphin teeth but can't say for sure as my collection has gone to storage for the next 6 months. I've only ever seen a hand full larger though. Thanks so much for the possible ID's. Greatly appreciated.

Thats awesome! I wish i lived somewhere i could find fossil like those all of the time!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Nice finds! It's always a good day when you are lucky enough to find cetacean teeth and you found some real nice ones

Thanks Greg. Definitely a good day when you find a large cetacean tooth. I almost (almost...) enjoy finding them than a large meg. You need to post a trip soon... I know you've gotta be holding one or two good ones back.

Great finds and by the looks of that ice you earned em !

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Thanks Greg. Definitely a good day when you find a large cetacean tooth. I almost (almost...) enjoy finding them than a large meg. You need to post a trip soon... I know you've gotta be holding one or two good ones back.

Yeah I'm right there with you on the 'almost', haha. I think I have 1 nice example of the type of 'Hadrodelphis' type tooth you posted and I make sure to display it nicely. Very cool teeth, but it's hard to beat a large meg for me. I was always a shark guy growing up though.

No big megs for me, but I did have a nice trip last week with some nicer small finds. I'll try and get a post together for tomorrow. thanks Jason.

Is that a delphinodon tooth? It's monstrous for a dolphin.

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Love that ice picture, i cant believe it gets so cold in places!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Jason, some years ago I had the folks at the Calvert Marine museum and Smithsonian look at a few large teeth similar to yours; they told me they thought they might be Hadrodelphis calvertensis. If I recall there was a little uncertainty because there seemed to be two "types" of these; one in which the teeth are the size of the one you posted here, and another type that are smaller with more ornate crowns.

Daryl.

Is that a delphinodon tooth? It's monstrous for a dolphin.

Nope, Delphinodon is tiny (crown length ~5-6mm). As stated above, Hadrodelphis and Macrokentriodon are really large kentriodontid dolphins, and Delphinodon is one of the smaller odontocetes from the Chesapeake Group.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...
On 3/4/2014 at 2:25 PM, Boesse said:

Nope, Delphinodon is tiny (crown length ~5-6mm). As stated above, Hadrodelphis and Macrokentriodon are really large kentriodontid dolphins, and Delphinodon is one of the smaller odontocetes from the Chesapeake Group.

Given that Delphinodon is now restricted to the type species D. mento and Delphinodon dividum has been renamed Brevirostrodelphis, it'd be interesting to see if the huge tooth is most similar to Hadrodelphis and Macrokentriodon.