Pyrite?

IFTCentral

Hi everyone :)

My dad and I went on our third 'fossil hunt' yesterday to the Antrim Coast. We found a few sea urchins and a strange looking rock (?) which I removed from a larger rock near the water. We also found a similar rock elsewhere on the beach. It might be nothing but it looks a little - to my untrained eye - like pyrite. What do you think it is?

The gold tones on the rock are actually very vivid and bright under light - the pictures don't really do it justice.

post-14538-0-76325800-1394718937_thumb.jpg

post-14538-0-54936000-1394718943_thumb.jpg

post-14538-0-95244300-1394718948_thumb.jpg

post-14538-0-61184400-1394718955_thumb.jpg

post-14538-0-22782100-1394718961_thumb.jpg

Edited by IFTCentral

It looks like pyrite nodules to me.

Are you hoping it was gold? Or are you just asking for a confirmation on it's identification? (I sound like School House Rock)....

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

It looks like pyrite nodules to me.

Are you hoping it was gold? Or are you just asking for a confirmation on it's identification? (I sound like School House Rock)....

Thank you so much for your opinion :)

When I found the rock I was really hoping that it may have been some form of pyrite rather than just an interesting rock, so I'm really pleased.

I am not an expert on pyrite. So don't just take my word for it. That is just my opinion. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime-in and get your mystery solved.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I am not an expert on pyrite. So don't just take my word for it. That is just my opinion. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime-in and get your mystery solved.

Thank you! I'm a complete novice when it comes to geology and fossils so it's always nice to be educated by members of this forum.

Yes... pyrite nodules for sure.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

pyrite nodules in the form of marcasite. Very nice.

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 2 months later...

I agree pyrite nodules, and very nice ones too

best regards Chris

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'