Moa Extinction Due To Humans

Scylla

There have been 5 great mass extinctions. And some scientists say that we're in the sixth now. Cause, humans.

I have many, many theories why. But it seems that the very thing that makes us human is the very thing that will kill us,knowledge.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

It has been well known that the early Maori in NZ liked the taste of the moa that much they set fire to the forests of NZ to flush the moa out, and slaughtered them in great numbers. i have found moa bones in mass where they were slaughtered and cooked along the coast by organized hunts that wiped out very large numbers at once not allowing the populations to progress

DNA evidence says moa populations were thriving until human contact:

http://news.discovery.com/animals/humans-wiped-out-the-moa-ancient-dna-reveals-140319.htm

Thanks for the link. We just discussed the extinction of the Giant Moas as having been the result of human population of the island, but didn't go beyond them becoming extinct until after human incursion. We are covering DNA, genetics, and heredity now, so I can tie this story right back in. My 8th grade science students will appreciate this.