O! O! O! Oligocene Orbitoplax From Oregon

Uncle Siphuncle

This cool little crab was a magnanimous gift from our own RB. I wish I had taken a pic prior to prep as the little concretion had just the tips of the propodi and the end of one rear leg exposed initially. RB warned me to go slow as these crabs are often flaky and in need of constant stabilization as the scribe exposes more of the specimen. And he warned me that the butt end of the carapace may not be present.

I guess in terms of completeness and quality of preservation, this little gem was ideal. Even the eyestalks are preserved. The only problem was that when a big section of concretion popped off of the dorsal side of the carapace, it took a propodus and dactyl with it, and the claw tips flew out of sight.

I ended up getting out the broom, dustpan, and a mesh spaghetti strainer, and I essentially bulk sampled the scribe's debitage on my driveway, not exactly easy as I was just finishing a long prep session encompassing several formations from around the country. Tiny as they were, I found both claw tips and superglued everything back in place.

Thanks Ron!

post-22-0-08581100-1395545582_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-57557700-1395545610_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-31555100-1395545636_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

very cool, and a nice gift! :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Yikes, I guess that leaves something to be said for an enclosed prep space! You're lucky, though, I can never find missing bits - I guess I need more experience with that kind of microfossil technique...

Nice specimen and prep job, anyway.

I have a nice blast cabinet, but I can't see well enough through it for detail work...no comparison with natural light out on the driveway, with no glass in between. Plus the gloves are clumsy, even with a finger and thumb tip cut out. But when its time for gross blast work where a clear picture is not required, the cabinet gets the nod.

Grüße,

Congratulations Dan, you did a great work, as the terrific and magnanimous RB said, these tiny concretions are very hard to work, matrix is crystalline and split everytime...

Again, welcome to the crabmania, I think you are bitten and this have not hopeless.

:D

Well hello again, MB! I'm afraid I'm several hundred crab finds beyond the point of no return regarding this infirmity you've dubbed "Fiebre de Cangrejos". However, I've been spoiled by the comparatively easy prep work of Dakoticancers from Texas. I'm having a hard time with most of my Lincoln Creek Pulalius nodules. Many have good potential, but it is slow work and I'm more of a fast paced guy...I need to find a way to remove matrix FAST until I'm very close to the crab. Maybe a grinder or tile saw will help. I guarantee I won't sit down and spend 12 hours nibbling away at each nodule with my air scribes.

Grüße,

:)

Just a question, Dan, , your Lincoln Creek concretions are entire or they are broken? if they are broken you can see how is the crab position, and knowing they morphology you could use the saw, as this you save a lot of hours.

See the first page of crab's fever.

If not... the only way to be sure is the patiente to remove the matrix, but your prize is that those concretions are hard but very easy to prep, just a time matter.

;)

Edited by MB

mb- i cracked them open, reglued as required, then drew carapace and leg position on the outside. still, taking down down 2 inches of hard-as-flint concretion requires time i can't spare. maybe in my retirement in 20 years...

Grüße,

What a beauty. Nice of RB to let that one go!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Hey Dan. Can I ask what airscribe/s you are using? I maybe able to help in saving you a bunch of time.

RB

rb

i use an me-9100 for most of my work. for tiny details i'll whip out the aro scribe. on my pulalius i was thinking of leaning them into my bench grinder as i need to reduce matrix fast down to within 1/4 inch of the carapace, then

resume with the 9100. i may need to dress the wheel between crabs if i use the grinder, as i'm sure i'll load the grain. do i need a dressing tool for this, or can i use something else more

commonly found on hand? after bulk matrix removal, i'll have time and patience to work crabs properly... assuming they aren't sticky.

Grüße,

Nice job Dan. Lookin good! You are a persevering sort of guy when it comes down to it. I'm sure I would have done the same as you looking for those claw tips that ran away just before you were finished.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/