Paleontologists Assemble Giant Turtle Bone

ThePrehistoricMaster

This is such an amazing fossil story!

A good writer could turn this into a chapter in a book about against-the-odds science serendipity.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

there's also a blurb on this in the April Nat Geo in the science notes section

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

I just received a pre-print of the article, which hasn't yet been publicly released.

The proximal half of the bone may have been found 200 years before the distal half; It is uncertain exactly when and how it came to the Academy of Natural Sciences. The locality information with the specimen started out as "Cretaceous of New Jersey", later amended (by Leidy?) to "Burlington County, New Jersey", probably simply because a lot of Cretaceous fossils had been found there in the 1800s. This new find, made in 2010, allows the actual locality, the Monmouth Brooks in Monmouth County, New Jersey to be determined with precision.

In addition, one of our members was involved in the scanning of the specimen. I'll let him speak up for himself if he wishes.
I have requested permission to post the 3-D scanned pictures of the bone, likely after the paper is released.

Rich

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

What an incredible story !

One of the above articles stated:

"With the complete 21-inch bone in hand, scientists at the state museum and the academy, which is part of Drexel University, were able to estimate the size of the massive reptile. Their calculation: 10 feet from head to tail, as much as twice the length of its typical modern counterpart."

Does anyone know if this calculation is just for this species or would it hold true for a 21" leatherback turtle humerus ( miocene - roundmountain silt formation ) as well ?

Lisa

No, the calculation was based on George Zug's work with modern sea turtles, so likely just as applicable to the Sharktooth Hill leatherback. I've seen two skulls of that species, and they are BIG.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Good news: Don't give up hope. You may yet find that key missing piece of that awesome fossil.

Bad news: It may take 160 years.

Context is critical.