Sam The Plesiosaur

John K

The kids and I have started the preliminary planning for this years expedition to eastern Montana. I've been trading e-mails and phone calls with my buddy The Troll, who's been a wonderful friend for many years and a terrific fossil hunting contact.

One of the recent e-mails I got from Ward contained this 3d scan of a plesiousaur that a friend of his found, and that he helped still another friend excavate near Ft. Peck:

Sam the Plesiosaur

His friend found it, reported it to another friend who held the proper permits to collect it (Pat Druckenmiller, University of Alaska Fairbanks), who then contacted The Troll to come out and help recover it. Ward told me the other night it took them about a week to prep it and dig it out. It would have been about a 40 foot animal.
REALLY looking forward to getting out there again later this summer....

Unmitigatedly awesome! That thing is scary!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Is your friend the hunter who found the plesiosaur whose neck was straddling a gully? Pat showed me the pictures and it is amazing. The picture shows a hunter in a gully with a big concretion at his feet on the right hand bank of the gully, and a bridge of rock going over the gully into the next side. The bridge is the plesiosaur's neck.

Is your friend the hunter who found the plesiosaur whose neck was straddling a gully? Pat showed me the pictures and it is amazing. The picture shows a hunter in a gully with a big concretion at his feet on the right hand bank of the gully, and a bridge of rock going over the gully into the next side. The bridge is the plesiosaur's neck.

no, I think that was Ward's friend Mike (not sure on the name - it was late at night when we talked last, after a couple beers...) whom apparently we'll be meeting this summer; but I think that's the same animal. I'd like to meet Pat, too.

• 1 year later...

Do you have some kind of 3D model of this available?

Hey Treak, I thought the same thing!

That skull is absolutely beautiful. A plesiosaur skull is my dream find. Top of the list. Unfortunately, Plesi material is very rare in Lyme Regis. But, it is there and plesiosaur skull material has been found. Only a matter of time.

Thanks for sharing. I would love to see some more pictures of the actual skull.

The image came from Dr. Pat Druckenmiller - you might try contacting Pat to see if he can provide a 3D model. I believe my friend Ward told me it's from an animal that was excavated from the Ft. Peck area.

https://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/earth/staff/

here's the trip report I posted:
http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/49013-montana-2014-part-1/