Show Us Your Heteromorphs

bone digger

Hi guys,

i have prepping a new nodule from Resse/Germany.So i have working hard 60 - 70 hours on this heteromorphes.The aegos now holding with the calzitbridges.

Thanks for looking

Axel

Amazing. That sure looks like delicate work. Don't know how you managed to prep that 3D specimen without breaking it.

There are some beauties on this thread for sure but I cant see some of the pics in the earlier posts, is that because the older ones have been withdrawn or expired for some reason?

...I cant see some of the pics in the earlier posts, is that because the older ones have been withdrawn or expired for some reason?

Some pics were lost during reloading to the new server :(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Some pics were lost during reloading to the new server :(

Maybe some of the active members could go back and re-attach their photos. I remember 'fossisle' had some amazing examples. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Maybe some of the active members could go back and re-attach their photos. I remember 'fossisle' had some amazing examples. :D

Sure

Here are

Glyptoxoceras subcompressum

Eubostrychoceras elongatum

:rolleyes:

Edited by fossisle

Cephalopods rule!!

WOW looks fragile

Never saw this wonderful topic :angry:

Here I am... my Resse specimen... on the spot ;):P

Cephalopods rule!!

Sure

Here are

Did you find? Just fantastic!

Welcome to the forum!

ok, nandomas, you should say how you preserved that wet shale treasure...that's what everybody want's to know how to do so it will last forever

Did you find? Just fantastic!

Yes from a highway construction project north of where I live Roz

thanks

Cephalopods rule!!

I have some in storage, bu this one was available today for photgraphing. I can't see all the pold posts on here, so I don'tknow if anyone has posted a baculite... the most common hetermorph, and possibly the most boring to most folks. But here is a really pretty piece of baculite from a ranch just south of where I live.

post-1450-0-19394800-1292560998_thumb.jpg

I have some in storage, bu this one was available today for photgraphing. I can't see all the pold posts on here, so I don'tknow if anyone has posted a baculite... the most common hetermorph, and possibly the most boring to most folks. But here is a really pretty piece of baculite from a ranch just south of where I live.

nice, love the sutures on these

Cephalopods rule!!

Yes from a highway construction project north of where I live Roz

thanks

Both are from the inland Island Highway??

Wish I had been around when that was going on!!!!!

Dan

Hey JPC, You didn't list a species which seems commonplace as most are not identified beyond genus level. The Baculites I have is identified as B.compressus likely based mostly on suture morphology I'm guessing? I've always thought very highly of them even though most are smallish bits and pieces and probably why folks find them 'boring'. Global Names Index has 200+ species listed and I'm sure there are others besides us that are not bored by these cool creatures. I would really enjoy seeing the rarer species. Can anyone elaborate on these further beyond the more commonly known types from North America? Thanks!

Baculites compressus 9"

Pierre Shale - South Dakota

post-4301-0-76176200-1292565467_thumb.jpg

Edited by piranha

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Sure

Here are

Are you sure that's not a Hyphantoceras sp. (the 2nd one)?

And I agree with Dan, I wish I had known of that outcrop when the new Hwy was going in... I'd be happy to have just one each of those - I have a couple close-to-complete Glyptoxoceras but ours down here are usually crushed flat! (there is less distortion up-Island). I'll post them as soon as I find them and take pix.

I like the Baculites too, and wish I knew how to ID the species. There is a species here with nodes down each side that the VicPS guys are not sure of - could be a new species, I have a few of those too.

Here are some from Mt Tzuhalem, Vancouver Island.

I don't know what this one is, but I couldn't extract it at the time, it was in a huge boulder and if I started to chip at it it was going to disintegrate (the material is very frustrating that way..)

post-4372-0-71565300-1292575250_thumb.jpg

Here is a Baculite. I got this one out but it's still in pieces (same problem as above but at least I got it out)

post-4372-0-88766000-1292575320_thumb.jpg

I think I posted this one elsewhere, but it's interesting so here it is again. I thought it was Diplomoceras until I noticed the nodes. I hear it could be a Pseudoxybeloceras. When complete it's supposedly a big paperclip-shaped thing (like Diplomoceras), but I've never seen them complete.

post-4372-0-59145600-1292575429_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Both are from the inland Island Highway??

Wish I had been around when that was going on!!!!!

Dan

Yes Dan, lots of Pacydiscid ammonites as well !!!

biggrin.gif

Cephalopods rule!!

Hey JPC, You didn't list a species which seems commonplace as most are not identified beyond genus level. The Baculites I have is identified as B.compressus likely based mostly on suture morphology I'm guessing? I've always thought very highly of them even though most are smallish bits and pieces and probably why folks find them 'boring'. Global Names Index has 200+ species listed and I'm sure there are others besides us that are not bored by these cool creatures. I would really enjoy seeing the rarer species. Can anyone elaborate on these further beyond the more commonly known types from North America? Thanks!

Baculites compressus 9"

Pierre Shale - South Dakota

Yeah, I generally don't ID the bac's to species. I have tried using Neal Larson et al.'s book on the Amm's of the Pierre Seaway, but find it is not easy. I wish it were. I've brought some amm's to the Man Himself, Bill Cobban in Denver for ID, but primarily, I have a friend who is a grad student in FL working on Cretaceous amm's. I ask him for ID's if I need to go to the species level. Most of my ID'ed fossils only go to genus.

Hello at all, this is a part of my heteromorphe ammonites collection. J find this and J prep. Best regard

J collecting only fossils since 30 years old,ammonites,heteromorphe ammonite,crabs,fish trilobit, sea urshins, mammals, etc...J am married . Sorry for my enghish

Hello , yes J have prospecting,find the ammonites and prep. All the specimen are find in France in south est in Provence. The south est of France is a best place for find this specimen. Best regard

J collecting only fossils since 30 years old,ammonites,heteromorphe ammonite,crabs,fish trilobit, sea urshins, mammals, etc...J am married . Sorry for my enghish

Impressive, Herve... especially the one shaped like a saxophone. I'd like to see some more photos, close up.

You'll notice some of us from Vancouver Island showing interest - we have heteromorphs here too. Ours are Santonian/Campanian though.

Eric