Trilobite Cedaria Minor And Menomonia Semele

miguels97

Hello ,

Can anyone tell me if this two trilobites are rare and the value that they have ? And where they are from ?

Thanks for your time !

post-12930-0-58477900-1396625816_thumb.jpg post-12930-0-45554500-1396625819_thumb.jpg

Edited by miguels97

Miguel Morais

From the rock it looks as though they are from the Marjum formation in Utah. But I can;t know that for sure. Where did you get them from?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

If you bought them, they are worth what you paid. You can look on ebay for similar specimens, and get an idea of what you might be able to ask for them, though that is no guarantee that you'll get what you ask for.

We do not provide valuations of fossils on this web site, as is clearly stated in several places, such as in the header for the very section (Questions and Answers) where you made your post. Here it is again: ">Please understand that we do not appraise value!"

There are several good reasons for this. One is that it is impossible to accurately appraise the quality of a specimen from photographs, one really needs to examine the actual specimen. Is the specimen even authentic, or is it a replica? (note: yours appear to be authentic to me, as far as I can tell from a photo). Another reason is that we are overwhelmingly people who collect, enjoy, and study fossils, but very few of us are commercial dealers. Really, the information that we could give you (such as, what we paid if we bought something similar recently) is no different from what you get, yourself, by checking ebay. Also if we started appraising fossils, based on nothing more than a photograph, it could open us up to liability if someone bought something and it turned out to be different from what the photos indicated.

Finally, I suggest that your fossils are from the Weeks Formation of Utah, based on the species and on the color of the matrix. Again, that is a tentative suggestion based on your photos; to be sure I would need to see the actual specimens. The species are not rare in the Weeks, but they are certainly not as commonly for sale as other species, such as Elrathia kingi or the Moroccan Flexicalymene.

Also, they are nice trilobites. Did you get them for your own collection, or with an intent to resell them? I would think they'd be nice additions to your collection.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

These trilobites are from the Weeks Formation.

This list shows the only recorded occurrences:

Cedaria minor

Weeks Formation (Utah)

Holm Dal Formation (Greenland)

Rabbitkettle Formation (Canada)

Menomonia semele

Weeks Formation (Utah)

Orr Formation (Utah)

Pilgrim Formation (Montana)

Gaspé Peninsula (Canada)

Rabbitkettle Formation (Canada)

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I am not asking for a price , when i say value , i mean are they rare ? are they dificult to find ? , of course i will not sell them but i want to have an ideia of what i have , but thanks for your explanation !

Miguel Morais

Ah, I understand now.

Within the Weeks Formation, Cedaria minor is the most common species, and Menomonia semele is the third most abundant. However, in a practical sense the species can only be collected as entire specimens in Utah, as the other occurrences listed by Piranha are in remote locations (northern British Columbia, Greenland) and/or the specimens are mainly disarticulated. So the species are not rare in one area in Utah, but they are rare globally. They are nice specimens, if I had them I'd be happy to have them in my collection.

Don