Hunting On Highway Roadsides

tperry87

Hello, I am interested in stopping and rock hunting on highway roadsides where the rock is exposed by the construction of the highway. Is this legal? Do I need permission? I'm new to this and would like to see what I can find in my area of the state. I live in eastern Kansas. Thank you.

Edited by tperry87

Hi tperry87,

You cannot stop on Interstates, but I haven't had any trouble on smaller highways as long as there is a place to park well off of the road and not creating any obstructions or distractions to traffic.

However, it is always at the police's discretion whether they pay no mind or stop to ask what you are doing. They may tell you to move along.

Also, be aware that private property is often adjacent to highways, and landowners may question you, or even call police to investigate.

Just remember to always think safety for yourself and motorists.

And welcome from Lansing, Ks.

Good luck! :)

Steve

Drive a white pickup. Throw out some orange cones. Don a hardhat and orange vest. Carry a clipboard. No one will mess with you.

Drive a white pickup. Throw out some orange cones. Don a hardhat and orange vest. Carry a clipboard. No one will mess with you.

Ha! :)

Or instead of a clipboard, one could bring a trash bag and pick up litter along the roadside. You can collect some fossils along with the wrappers and bottles. And if a trooper stops to question what you're doing, you can show him the half-full bag instead of a blank clipboard. Of course, I'm not necessarily recommending this to anyone. :)

Context is critical.

for anyone else reading this post - the laws very by state so check with your states geological survey. Its illegal to be a pedestrian along any interstate (though the on / off ramps are usually ok) so no collecting on those. In any event when collecting road-cuts, try to refrain from removing material from the cut face itself. The states frown upon such destructive behavior and could enact laws banning such activity. Mother Nature should provide enough fallen material to look through. Just some advice from Uncle Jim :) .

I have hunted on Ohio Interstate roadcuts numerous times, but never park my car on the shoulder. I look at Google Earth and see what is "behind" the roadcut. At times there are places to park nearby and then I just work my way over to the site. I never walk close to the shoulder, always staying on the roadcut incline. There's plenty of "what ifs" that one can ask about this approach, but it can work.

I've only had a Trooper stop once, and after I explained what I was doing and showed him some specimens I had already picked he just asked that I keep a certain distance back, etc. and went on his way.

Oddly enough, to me anyway, when I told him I was searching for fossils he responded verbally with a "what is that?' and the look on his face nearly made me laugh out loud.

Agreed. There's a great collecting site that's been 'off limits' here for a long time. I was stopped by a trooper. He was polite, but firm in his warning. He told me that my presence was a distraction for other motorists and unsafe for them and myself. Also, removing material could cause further erosion and debris fall into traffic and make it hazardous to the public. I know of a few other folks that have been warned and now there's a 'No Trespassing' signs at this site. No fossil's worth that much trouble, unless it's encrusted with rubies and emeralds. :P

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Highway construction sites are always tasty looking. I've had mostly good experience checking them out but always after the work crews have left for the day or on a weekend. As mentioned none were on interstates. Just as if you were in a quarry, stay clear of any equipment and don't move mess with anything but loose material.